We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appian Way specifics and questions

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Appian Way specifics and questions

Baths of Caracalla €6 9AM-715PM Mon 9AM-2PM on Roma Pass

Porta San Sebastiano and Museum of the Wall €2.60 Tu-Su 9AM-2PM, closed Mon

Church of Domine Quo Vadis open during Mass

Hypogeum of Vibia, Villa dei Casali (Appia Antica 103) €5 830A-12P/230P-5P, closed We

Ardeatine Caves free M-F 815A-315P Sa,Su 815A-445P

Catacombs of St. Callixtus €5 830AM-1230PM, 230PM-530PM

Catacombe di San Sebastiano closed Sun

Circus and Villa of Maxentius, Mausoleum of Romulus (Via Appia Antica, 153) €2.60 Tu-Sa 9AM-1PM, closed Mon

Sepulcher of Cecilia Metella and Caetani Castle €2 9AM-430PM

Villa Quintili and Aqueduct €4 9A-430P

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

So is there a Question? or are you asking for questions?

The Church of Quo Vadis is open when you walk by and see the door open, not always during mass.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

Wow, about 50% of my post disappeared when it posted! I wonder if I can reconstruct it. (That was the part with the questions...)

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

OK. Here goes.

I am planning a day to walk the Appian Way on a Sunday in April 2011, probably 17 April. Could do 24 April but that's Easter, so thought the 17th might be better. (This is where the OP that posted was supposed to go.)

I have found the above sights (in what turned out to me my abbreviated and useless OP) along the Appian Way (starting at the central Rome end and working my way out). Does this cover most of the major sights, or am I missing something major?

According to Google maps http://tinyurl.com/2f9p6nb this is about 9.2km or 5.7 miles which would be 1hr and 54min walking time. Does this sound about right? If so, it is probably a little far for my mother. If we want to shorten the walking, should we take the Archeobus or Bus 118 (or another bus I don't know about)? The Archeobus seems to stop at a lot of these places, but doesn't seem to go all the way to the Villa Quintili. Is there a site with a map of the 118 bus route with stops? I found a map of the route by you (lupaling) but it didn't have the stops on it. I tried the ATAC site but only found a route planner, not bus maps. We will probably have either a Roma Pass or a public transport pass, which I assume can be used on the 118 bus. I know there's a discount on the Archeobus with the Roma Pass, but I've heard that it doesn't come as often as it says it will (which is every 30 min). Does the 118 come more often?

It seems like there is a pretty big gap between Circus and Villa of Maxentius and Sepulcher of Cecilia Metella (2.7km or 1.7mi). Is there any particular reason to walk this part (scenery, sights I don't know about), or should we just take the bus?

I know there are restaurants along the Appian Way. Are we likely to find one relatively close when it happens to be lunchtime, or are they concentrated in one area with long distances between them? I see there are a couple of places that are closed for lunchtime, so I wondered if we would be better just to take a picnic.

Are there frequent places to sit and rest (just anything raised to sit on so my mother won't have to get up from the ground) along the way?

Would we be better to start at the Rome end and walk out or take the bus out and walk back? I read that it's downhill coming back, but I don't know if that would work with the buses. It looks like the Archeobus only stops going one way, but I don't know about the 118 bus.

You mostly answered my question about the Church of Domine Quo Vadis which was whether it was open at other times and whether there was a website with the times, or if you just have to randomly see if it's open.

I guess I should also ask if this can be done in a day. We wouldn't have anything else planned for the day, but I don't know how long each sight would take.

It seems like I had other questions, but I can't remember any of them at the moment. Sad, as I spent a lot of time trying to make the OP make sense.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

I really suggest you spend some time looking around at www.060608.it. Start with any one of the places (except Hypogeum of Vibia, which is owned by the Vatican and it knows nothing about) and follow some of the links.

For example, there's an Appia Antica Card for 7 Euro that includes Caracalla, Cecilia Metella and Quintili. Save the Roma Pass for something more expensive.

Also, Museum of the Walls and Maxentius now cost 3 Euro each.

It's also worthwhile to double-check times and prices in the more reliable Italian version: Ardeatine Caves are only open until 4:15.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

Google map of Appian way. It has some restaurants marked on it. Zoom in and out ofr other details

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

I have eaten at

Ristorante L'Archeologia

We ate here. It was good but a tad on the expensive side for us.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Via Appia Antica, 139

WhicH is thtr blue anchor on the google map

I have taken only bus 118 to and on the Appian way becaseu it'

s origin was the Piramide or Circo Maximo Metro stop

bus route for 118 www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Bus 218 leaves fron near the San Giovanni Laterno Metro stop and then goes down Via Ardeatina where that branches off. You can to the ATAC and put 118 into the second box that says Trova Linea to see the stops.

http://www.atac.roma.it/

I have not been as far south as the Via of the Quintili. Hope to go next time

You woudo need to take bus 118 to the end and then walk of take bus 654 the rest of the way

Unless you sit on the ground (Italians abhor this) there is no place to rest up

Appian way near the Tomb of Cecilia Metella feb 2005

near the St Callistus catacombs

Appian way near the Church of Quo Vadis

I have taken Bus 160 to the Baths of Caracalla and then to Viale Porta Ardeatina and then walked down the Appian wAY from there

see blue trolley marker on the map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Bus 118 runs more often than the Archeobus and it's cheaper. There is no way that the Archeobus runs every 30 min. I have often sited only one after walking on the road an hour or more. Waiting for bus 118 I have never been passed by an Archeobus.

"It seems like there is a pretty big gap between Circus and Villa of Maxentius and Sepulcher of Cecilia Metella "

it didn't seem that bad. I have walked it each time I have gone. Maybe if you are wityh your mother and she's tired, you coudl take the bus. if you get to the St Callistus catacombs there are palces to sti and rest outside the

detailed catacomb area mpa

Edited: 16 December 2010, 20:04
NY
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

I took the Archeobus to see several of these places in Sept, it worked fairly well, but as another poster said you have to be patient. I do not think you would be able to see all these places in one day by walking or even synching with the bus. Also, be sure to recheck the opening and tour times after you get to Rome so you are not disapppointed. The catacombs can only be seen on a tour at the site. The baths are also not open all the time on all days.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

Since 2006 the Archeobus only goes as far south as the Tomb of Ceciia Metella. It used to go further south all the way to the aqueduct park.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

I have never beern to the St Sebastian catacombs since they are closed on Sunday. I have been to the St Callsistus ones and there are the Domitilla ones on nearby Via Ardeatina. Both are open on Sunday except for the siesta 12-2. They are both worhtwhile seeing.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

The main page of the Archeobus web site still says that it goes as far as the Villa dei Quintili, but I don't see any stop listed that would be near it. I've just sent them an email requesting an explanation.

I took the Archeobus several times, but not since the route change, and it went to Villa dei Quintili then. It's hard to see all of those sites in one day; the catacomb tour eats up a lot of time. We tried walking from one stop to the next in parts of the route to be able to see more things in the half hour between one bus and the next. However, it was not easy to coordinate the visits with the bus schedule. We didn't have a problem either time with the frequency of the buses.

The bus route map on the Archeobus page says "weekdays" (feriale), implying that a different route is taken on Sundays, but it doesn't show a different map.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appian Way specifics and questions

At different times - in "installments" - we've walked from Porta San Sebastiano to well out into the country, beyond where the main road and railway now pass underneath the Appia Antica - however far away that may be?

But even if prepared to do no more than take a snap or two of the many sites and sights along the route, I think you can forget any ideas of getting out to the Quintili villa in two hours - distractions, the bike riders and local traffic, and the nature of the surfaces along which you'll be walking, make that very unlikely!

I see you've not mentioned it at all, so perhaps you've not yet found the website of the Park?

http://www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/default.asp

As well as maps, they've some itineraries to offer...

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/testi.asp…

...these leaflets...

... restaurant suggestions...

... and loads of other stuff, including bus and Metro tips...

They've also this old flyer - from the days when the Archeobus had its full route - which may help you decide on places to stop and visit... but do check individually to confirm their current hours, days and prices...

www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/pdf/flyer_ingl.pdf

Expect though that many will alter their closing times with the season's daylength!

Personally, I'd advise not dismissing the Archeobus too readily - it still covers a good part of the road....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/viaappia

... even if it does no longer continue out to the Park of the Aqueducts or the Quintili villa, as it was doing in November 2006, when I took most of these photos...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/old_archeobus

Peter