We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single woman travelling alone

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
single woman travelling alone

hi, i have seen old posts about this but i'd be grateful for updated reviews. i wish to go travelling around italy for 2 weeks (end of April 2011) only by myself. i do not speak the language (i just downloaded an app to learn italian!) and don't really know where to start to start planning the trip. i know i want to go to Rome, Venice, Naples and Florence. of course, my main concern is around safety. any comments will be very much appreciated :)

thank you :)

Edited: 03 January 2011, 13:38
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: single woman travelling alone

If you look at a map of Italy and find these four cities, you'll see that Venice is at the top and Naples is at the bottom. So ideally you should plan to fly into one of these and out of the other (what they call an "open jaws" flight), to avoid back-tracking. Naples has a rather small airport though, so depending on where you are flying from you may find it more convenient to fly into/out of Rome instead.

Otherwise, travel among these four cities is easy by train. Trains between each of them are frequent (roughly hourly) every single day. There is no need to purchase tickets far in advance. You can almost always expect to get a seat on a train just by showing up at the station a little while before the train. I always use the self-serve ticking kiosks in the stations - they are easy to use and there is an English language option.

You won't need to know a lot of Italian. Knowledge of greetings and some basic phrases will come in handy though. Many Italians you'll interact with in Venice, Florence, and Rome will speak English (in fact they'll often prefer to speak English rather than try to understand your butchered Italian). In Naples, English is somewhat less common.

Your main safety concerns should be petty thieves (purse snatchers, etc.). It's a problem in all four cities. No need to be paranoid, but use common sense and don't carry around more cash than is necessary. Your second safety concern should be traffic - crossing the street in Italy is something of an acquired skill. Watch how the locals do it, and copy them (or simply cross with them). Watch out for maniacs on scooters speeding through narrow streets, particularly in Naples.

Hope that helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: single woman travelling alone

Thanks so much for this, I'm going to do a bit more research. never travelled alone for more than 4 days.. 2 weeks seem a bit daunting.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single woman travelling alone

ola don't be daunted it's exhilerating really, I went solo to Rome, Orvieto, Lucca, Cinque Terre, Florence than back to Rome, people were friendly, lots to do and I felt safe, Jeff is right take the precautions regarding your valuables,

For two weeks, I would do Rome, Florence and Venice. Rome is busy chaotic and stunning. Florence is much more tranquil and than Venice well that's a whole other world, nothing like in the world,

I made a travel report video regarding solo travel. (the written reports are there too) on other links but I especially like the video. Once you see it I think you will have a lot less fear.

…wordpress.com/2010/…more-1550

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: single woman travelling alone

Hi, I just returned from traveling Italy alone (Rome, Florence, and Venice) and had a blast! I traveled as a single woman and felt fine. I did all of the research myself and took the train and other public transportation. I also don't speak the language and did not feel odd at all except when I was unable to find an English-speaking person to help when I was lost, etc. I started in Rome, took the train to Florence, and then ended my time in Venice. While in Florence I visited Pisa and Siena. I had a great time and really loved Rome, Siena, and Venice.

You can do it and you should not have any problems. I walked around at night and felt safe and even stayed out all night in Venice on New Years Eve. PM me if you want more tips on where I stayed, what I did, approximately how much I spent, etc.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: single woman travelling alone

Im glad you posted this topic, Im going alone to Rome in April for 4 days, and was feeling increasing trepidation about it. Ive booked the flight and accommodation myself so have no rep to fall back on. Im feeling much more confident about it now.

6. Re: single woman travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2011, 08:17