We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Hi all, planning my first trip to Italy with my husband this oct. Our first stop is Rome. Due to time constraints we are planning to see the 'basic' areas in Rome before proceeding to Florence. Planning also to stay at somewhere near Termini Station for convenience.

Here's my itinerary and I am hoping to take the Hop On Hop Off bus.

Day 1:

-Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill

Are these 3 places walkable to one another? This should be easily access by dropping at stop 2: Colosseo stop from the bus.

- Vatican City

St Peter's Square, Sistine Chapel, St Peter's Cathedral (any must see at St Peter??)

This should be accessible at stop 5) San Pietro – How long should I allocate for Vatican City?

Day 2:

- Patheon, Piazza Novana

Are these 2 places walkable? Should I alight at 4)Piazza Venezia?

- Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, St Via Condotti.

Alight at stop 7) Fontana di Trevi

Is there anything that I have missed out? The stops for Open 110 bus is as follows:

1 Termini

2 Colosseo

3 Bocca della Verità

4 Piazza Venezia

5 San Pietro

6 Ara Pacis

7 Fontana di Trevi

8 Termini

Do u think it's better to take the hop on/off bus or the normal train for first timer in Rome? Thanks for all advise, suggestions! :D

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,674 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,808 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican City
Vatican City
5,796 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
16,211 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Piazza Venezia
Piazza Venezia
2,889 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,211 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,663 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via Condotti
Via Condotti
859 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Fontana Hotel
Fontana Hotel
475 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

I have always really enjoyed the Hop on and off bus.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,658 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

You can't just see the Sistine Chapel - you need to go to the Vatican Museums, and walk through to the Sistine Chapel. The museums can take hours - it all depends on what you want to see and how you want to pace yourself.

You have missed out on many things but that is inevitable as it is impossible to see much in your short time, but you are hitting the well known sites. I would add in, if you have the time, a wander around the open market in Campo d'Fiori (about 5 minute walk from Piazza Navona) in the morning - it is a delight to explore and well worth a visit because it is smack dab in the center of Rome.

I have never taken the hop on/hop off bus but it seems that many people like it. I only walk for the most part - rarely take any transportation as the city is so accessible by foot and I love mooching around in the small cobblestone streets and still being surprised even after many visits.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
16,211 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
31,276 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,466 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Thanks MomCat1992,

I hope they are not too difficult to access.. The sites shd be close to one another by foot ya?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,765 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

I really don't think you'll have time to see Vatican city including the museums and basilica and then the colosseum, forum and palatine hill in the same day. Even though the colosseum sites are right next to each other you could spend most of the day there and not really see it all. As for the Vatican, you could spend days there and still not see 1/4 of it. As for what are the must sees at St. Peters I suggest you get a good guide book and decide that for yourself.

Day 2 looks fine. Don't forget to add in the wonderful churches that are in those areas. You won't be sorry you did.

I wouldn't bother with the bus. It's easier to walk to the sites you mention. I would take a cab from the colosseum area to the vatican area. This will save you some time. The other sites are all within easy walking distance to each other.

If you get a good map of the city you'll see how close the sites are to each other. From the piazza Navona to the pantheon is about a 5 minute walk. To the trevi fountain is about 15-20 minutes seeing some really wonderful sites along the way. Don't short change yourself by riding the bus and missing all the courtyards and fountains you'll see by walking. It's part of the charm of the city.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Vatican City
Vatican City
5,796 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
246 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,466 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Many thanks for your advise Dbabe, I thought of walking but afraid that it will be tricky since it's our first trip there. Will take a look at the city map. Am I right to say that the only far part is the Vatican city? The rest are all walkable?

Mentioned in this post
Vatican City
Vatican City
5,796 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,765 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Yes, you are right, sort of. It depends on where you are. If you're by the pantheon and piazza navona it's about a 20 minute walk to the basilica. If you're by the colosseum then it's really far and I would suggest taking a cab or the metro.

Don't be afraid to consider walking even on your first trip. It's a really easy city to get around and it's very compact. With a good map you'll find it very easy to get from site to site and will really enjoy walking this incredible city.

Donna

Singapore
Level Contributor
682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Sure..

For day 2:

- Patheon, Piazza Novana

-Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, St Via Condotti.

Do you think I will have extra time for the day? I do thought of visiting Trevi Fountain and Colosseum twice to get the day and night views..

Mentioned in this post
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,211 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,663 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via Condotti
Via Condotti
859 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,674 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,765 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

If that's all you're doing on day 2 then yes, you should have some spare time to re-visit some sites.

Donna

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Our first day in Rome last summer we visited the Colosseum, Forum, and Capitoline Museum- we were walking from basically 9 am until 3 pm, with a stop in the Capitoline Museum restaurant for lunch. It was a long, but amazing, first day. I'm 28 and my husband is 30, but we were totally exhausted by the end of the day and probably only stayed sane from the help of some cappuccino freddos! :) I can't imagine going to the Vatican after that- we saved it for another day.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,674 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
246 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary in Rome- need suggestions

Since you are staying at a hotel near Termini, I think your idea of using the 110 bus is a good one. I did that a couple of years ago. The buses come quite often and you will have been doing so much walking at each of the sites, it's nice to get on the bus for a while.....nice views from the top also.