We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viterbo

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
418 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Viterbo

Hi,

One of the excursions our cruiseline is offering from Rome is to Viterbo.

Since we have already been to Rome, we wanted an excursion to a quaint village where we can sit at a sidewalk cafe for a bite to eat and then stroll around shops. We are not interested in guided tours of churches, museums, etc.

Will Viterbo fit this?

Thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viterbo

More of a town, or perhaps even a city, than a village!

Some pictures from the time we spent there...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/viterbo

Peter

Edited: 13 January 2011, 14:25
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Viterbo

As A_Brit_In_Ischia wrote, Viterbo is a town more than a village.

It's also a very nice medieval town, with several churches, narrow streets, old houses and buildings(the main attraction is Palazzo dei Papi).

I don't know if it's the ideal place for you.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viterbo

Viterbo is most definitely not the place for you, based on your stated goals and interests.

Tuscania would more closely fit the bill (very quaint small town), but there are very few "shops" for strolling around.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
418 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viterbo

Thanks- we will find someplace else. We had loved Orvieto and Assisi but there are no excursions offered there.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viterbo

Orvieto and Assisi are both smaller and somewhat more compact than Viterbo (although Viterbo's old quarter is also compact). They are also much, much more "touristy" compared to the much more austere Viterbo. I personally enjoyed my five days in Viterbo very much, but I am also very interested in museums, churches, architecture, and historical "look and feel". Viterbo has one of the best preserved medieval quarters among similar-sized towns in all of Lazio. If you enjoyed Orvieto and Assisi for their monuments, you might give Viterbo a second thinking.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
418 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viterbo

Thank you.

This is a ladies trip and we like to stroll the streets and shops.

It doesn't sound like there is much of that which is our main interest this trip!

Our husbands would enjoy the historic aspects but they are not going!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viterbo

Might be quicker to tells us the options you've got?

Otherwise, Bracciano is a nice little town, on the shores of a lake and within commuting distance...

One or two pictures here.... though you may not be as eager to see the seaplane museum as I was!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ostia_bracc

Peter

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Viterbo

I don't recall Assisi being a shoppers' mecca, unless one was in the market for salt and pepper shakers in the shape of monks. Viterbo almost certainly has a better selection of shops, and there isn't a town in Italy that doesn't have sidewalk cafes.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viterbo

Actually, Viterbo does indeed have a decent small collection of clothing shops along its main street. Much of the shopping is not specially geared to tourists, which I think is actually a good thing. Be aware, however, that Viterbo is a more "austere" small city compared to Assisi, which is geared more to tourists and pilgrims. For stolling the streets and shops, Viterbo might be adequate. Just remember that it's a city and not a "quaint village"!

10. Re: Viterbo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2012, 06:18