We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comfortable shoes

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
comfortable shoes

Walking is a must throughout Rome. What are the best shoes/sneakers to wear for someone with walking challenges.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,566 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from US$395.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,877 Reviews
from US$58.70*
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comfortable shoes

I have challenges also and wear New Balance. I have had a orthodic support made that goes into the shoe.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,603 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: comfortable shoes

I have a couple of different styles of Keens shoes - the maryjanes are comfy and cute. I have real problems with my feet so having a lot of support and good soles to absorb the shock, so to speak, especially when walking on marble and cobbelstones is very important or I would have a miserable trip.

But there are all kinds of excellent brands offering the type of support you will need. I would suggest that you definitely buy them ahead of your trip so you have a number of weeks to break them in.

United States
Level Contributor
9,875 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: comfortable shoes

I swear by Merrells.

TA B

Ohio
Level Contributor
451 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: comfortable shoes

I agree with MomCat...I have walked all over Argentina, Sweden, Ireland, Norway, Canada on all kinds of cobblestones to stony dirt roads. There is nothing like a Keen. I have several different styles and these are THE only shoes that I travel with or take long walks in.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina Hotel
Argentina Hotel
293 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
dallas
Level Contributor
477 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: comfortable shoes

Another vote for Keens! But, if you also want something a little more stylish or for dinner, try Mephisto.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: comfortable shoes

I will have to look into these Keens. Not familiar with them. Will see where I can find them.

casa
Level Contributor
121 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: comfortable shoes

I also swear by Merrells. I almost cried when my first pair of sandals busted. I mourned that pair of shoes. They're like walking on clouds. I recently bought a pair of Merrell Siren Sport, wore them for 7 days in Spain with only one *minor* ankle blister and 10 days in Turkey without a single blister.

I personally dislike Keens. The one trip I took them on, I ended up with blisters all over my pinkie toe for 2 solid weeks.

Try out a couple of shoes before you go. Zappos.com and Shoebuy.com are good sources with good return policies if you live in the US.

Edited: 16 January 2011, 19:49
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: comfortable shoes

What ever is most comfortable for you, that is what you should take with you. For me it is a tennis shoe, and my wife will also take tennis shoes, l think you know what is best, think of your feet, not what others my think. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Mt. Vernon
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: comfortable shoes

Just came back from a trip to Rome and was very comfortable wearing lace up suede Easy Spirits. They worked for both day and evening wear. The rubber soles were great on the cobblestones. I don't know what season you will be visiting, but the Eco brand of shoes are also a favorite for comfort.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Rome Eco Suites
Rome Eco Suites
180 Reviews
Rome, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,603 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: comfortable shoes

Well, Hubie, the OP did ask for suggestions about shoes so people have offered suggestions based on their own experiences. Of course, the OP will choose what is best for their needs.

I buy all my shoes now from Zappos - it is amazing - free shipping and no charge for shipping returns. Their return policy is one full year so, if you forget to send something back and stumble across it five months later, you can still return it, no questions asked. I usually get my items the next day or second day after I order it. Don't know how they do it, but poof! they do....

Of course, you can't return items you have worn or used but they have a great selection, including all the brands mentioned above and tons more.

Good luck...