We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

Level Contributor
135 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

So excited to go back to Rome and bringing new visitors with me. I noted that there were free tours which is quite interesting! They both claim to be the original free tour. Question:

A) has anyone taken both tours -- 5pm with Rome Free Tour and the New Rome Free Tour 5:30 pm, both meeting at the Spanish Steps area.

B) Do they both hit the exact same places or are there differences?

C) First time taking free tours...what is the normal tip?

D) There are 3 free tours given by Rome Free Tou: 1) Vatican 2) Colosseum 3) City Centre. What tour did you take and was it worthwhile or is it better to purchase tours instead?

THANKS! I am very grateful for your input!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Rome Free Tour
Rome Free Tour
130 Reviews
Rome, Italy
New Rome Free Tour
New Rome Free Tour
2,845 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,307 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
118,592 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
london
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

I do not know anything about the tours you are mentioning in your post, I just whant to give you an advice, be careful with these "FREE" things of any kind. Sure enough the trick is hidden somewhere As far as I know no one on Earth gives things for nothing.....

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

I took the NEW Rome Free Tour last October with Andrea. There were only about 12 of us on the tour which lasted over 2 hours. Andrea was very knowledgeable explaining what we were seeing and its history. From the Spanish Steps we went to see the remains of a Roman Aqueduct, the church of San Andrea, the church of San Ignacio with its trompe d'oeil ceiling, the Pantheon and points inbetween. We had to duck out a little early to get to dinner but were very happy with the tour and tipped accordingly.

Mentioned in this post
New Rome Free Tour
New Rome Free Tour
2,845 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,097 Reviews
Rome, Italy
mrselett
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

I took the Free Rome Tour in September 2009. At the time I believe the only free tour they offered was the city center, so that's what we did. I plan to use them again when I return to Rome this summer.

I can't recall exactly how much we tipped. It was either 5 or 10 E per person.

We met at the Spanish Steps at 17:30. They had a big sign that said “Rome Free Tour” and they gave everyone stickers to note who was with the tour. The tour highlighted the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona. They also took us into a church to see two Bernini sculptures.

They also gave us information about their paid tours. The paid tours were inexpensive. We'd already booked tickets for other sites so we didn't take them up on the other tours. There was not a hard sell for the other tours nor for a big tip.

Enjoy your trip!

We really enjoyed the free tour which lasted about 2 or 2 ½ hours. There were about a dozen people on the tour.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Rome Free Tour
Rome Free Tour
130 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,307 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
78,505 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,097 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
30,876 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

I suggest that you read all the comments left by those who have joined them

at the moment, It seems that , New Rome Free Tour has a better rank;

you don't have to think that what is free is a trap for tourists ; if you don t like it , you are free to leave it whenever you want!

what iI think it could be a real trap when they ask you to pay the tour in advance, making you believe the tour is excellent and then is not!

Mentioned in this post
New Rome Free Tour
New Rome Free Tour
2,845 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
135 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

It was a little confusing to me since both tours have almost the same name and have groups meeting around the Spanish steps at approximately the same time.

The NEW Rome Free tour looks great! What the heck......if it's not good, what do we got to lose?

THANKS for all the tips and experiences! I am sure others will appreciate the comments too!

Mentioned in this post
New Rome Free Tour
New Rome Free Tour
2,845 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

You can size the guide up while you are waiting for the tour to form. Get there a little early so that you have time to chat with the guide and get a feel if they really know their stuff. If you don't like them, just walk away.

ohio
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

Great suggestion Nancy. I just looked at the reviews for New Rome Free Tours and there are several recent postings from folks who just joined TA and have only a positive review of New Rome Free Tours.

Mentioned in this post
Nancy
Nancy
Meurthe-et-Moselle, France
New Rome Free Tour
New Rome Free Tour
2,845 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,149 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

That tour seems to always get a lot of "one post wonders" who post "glowing" reviews of the tour they've received. I like Nancy's suggestion about getting there early and talking to the guide. If you don't like what you hear then just move on. Make sure you know some facts about the city so you can tell if they are just pulling your leg or not.

donna

9. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2012, 20:53
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Rome Free Tour (Blue) vs. Rome Free Tour (Red)

We did the New Rome Free Tour with Andrea. He was very knowledgeable and friendly, and took us to various points of interest. It was a group of maybe a dozen people. I had forgotten to wear a skirt for when we would enter the churches on the tour, but Andrea came equipped with some big scarves so I was able to wrap one over my shorts and thus be "decent" enough to go in! Even after the tour was finished, he stayed and talked with my husband and I another 45 minutes! The tour itself was about 2 1/2 hours. It was a perfect way for us to first get acquainted with Rome and gave us a good feeling as we started on the discovery of yet another new city on our European holiday. Thanks Andrea.

Mentioned in this post
New Rome Free Tour
New Rome Free Tour
2,845 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy