We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying car in Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
Buying car in Italy

Background:

Working in Italy on a 18 month contract. Everything legal. Need car to get to work - no public transport.

I am prepared to rent a car initially, but renting for 18 months would cost as much as buying a brand new car. I need a reliable car with warranty and roadside assistance. Would sell the car at the end of my work contract.

I will stay in a rented apartment (I hope, anyway.)

Many websites say that buying car in Italy is not possible without residence permit.

Now the question:

Is there a way for people like myself to buy, register, insure etc a car ?

I would love to get answer / help from people with actual experience or factual knowledge rather than opinions based on free information on internet.

California
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying car in Italy

Hi,

I realize that you will only be there for 18 months, but this Expat forum should be able to answer many of your questions. Many people on the forum are on work visas also, and have been in your situation. Hope this helps! :)

http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum

Melbourne
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying car in Italy

Thanks, Amarel, I will try that link. My experience with expat forums is that they are very slow. This forum is for travellers rather than workers, but it is very well frequented, hence a chance for quality help.

Joe

California
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying car in Italy

You're welcome Joe! You are right, the expat forum has less traffic than this site. I noticed that there is a "driver's license" section on the forum, which has threads about buying a car, getting insurance, etc. Here's the exact address for the driver's license section...(you've probably already found it, but I thought I'd post it to make things simpler).

expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php…

Good luck!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying car in Italy

One question might be why you're not intending to apply for residence?

It doesn't require you to take up Italian citizenship etc, and might save you money on other things... plus of course you may have trouble getting a permit for parking, or perhaps for the local ZTL, without it?

If that's where you'll be, Perugia's ZTL - and their park-and-ride schemes - appear to have changed since we visited over New Year 06/07....

www.comune.perugia.it/canale.asp?id=5957

Our case was lots simpler since we're British and have bought our home here (and don't have a car!), but you'll in any case be doing a fair amount of paperwork to get your stay legitimised, I guess?

But before starting out on that road, just be sure you do need a car for all of those 18 months... if it's only for weekend and vacation trips, and would otherwise stand unused, you may find that a local firm is willing to do you a deal....

Peter

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying car in Italy

If you're there legally, you'll have - sooner or later - a permesso di soggiorno or residence permit.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying car in Italy

Is there something about your work contract or visa that precludes getting residency? If not, I agree with Peter. It would make a lot of things simpler.

Have you looked into the possibility of a long-term lease of a car? Or could you have your employer provide you a car, registered in their name, but used by you?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying car in Italy

I know that for anyone knowing ITalian companies this might sound like a long shot but: why not ask your employer to help you with this since you will be needing a car for work? Maybe they won't be willing to buy a car, but maybe they can help you out in some way...even having some sort of car they lease that you will be permitted to use.....

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying car in Italy

Just saw bvlenci said the same thing....glad to see I wasn't crazy to think it!

rome
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying car in Italy

I agree with asking the employer!

10. Re: Buying car in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 16:17