We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite Museums

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
347 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Favourite Museums

Ok so partly because I'm researching for my upcoming trip but mainly because i really enjoy reading about the experiences and opinions of fellow tripadvisor members, if you could just choose two museums ( excluding the Vatican) which would be the two that you would visit while in Rome and why ........

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favourite Museums

Definitely the Capitoline Museums. For the second one, it would be a difficult choice. Maybe the Borghese Gallery, maybe the National Gallery of Ancient Art, or maybe the National Museum of Rome. The Doria Pamphilj Gallery and the Villa Giulia are definitely contenders as well, and I'm probably forgetting a few.

I'm very interested in ancient history and art, which probably explains my priorities. The Baroque period is not my favorite period, and Bernini doesn't do much for me, which takes a few points off the Borghese Gallery.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 22:51
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite Museums

Def Galleria Borghese and Palazzo Barberini. Great collections in places small enough to feel comfortable 1/2 day in each.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite Museums

Galleria Doria Pamphilj right on the Corso Italia in the historic center. This is still a privately owned palace that is still used by the family. Be certain to get the audio guide that is included in the entry fee. Its narrated by one of the owners and is one of the more interesting audio guides I've heard. The narrator not only discusses the history of the palace but includes some family stories. And there are a few chairs in every room so that you can sit and enjoy what you are seeing and hearing. The palace has many works by famous painters, but IMO, the stand out is the Velasquez portrait of Pope Innocent who was a Pamphilj.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite Museums

You'll find many are worth a look, and it might depend most on which subjects and eras interest you?

But perhaps a must-see - before being swamped by too much Roman stuff - is the collection at the Villa Giulia.

This consists of remains from the Etruscans, a people who lost out to them along the way.... worthwhile if only as aid to appreciating that the Romans didn't actually invent everything from rubbing two sticks together and the wheel onwards!

Formally it's the National Etruscan Museum of Villa Giulia, see:

060608.it/en/cultura-e-svago/beni-culturali/…

As I recollect, no photography inside - only in the grounds... a recreated temple..

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/64451175

Fabulous stuff though, including this golden near-equivalent of the Rosetta Stone...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrgi_Tablets

Peter

PS: One or two others seem to have more luck than I did....

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 20 January 2011, 06:51
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite Museums

What a hard decision !! My favourite is the Borghese Gallery...

galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite Museums

I will cheat a bit, since this is a very hard choice to make. Since Peter has already mentioned the excellent Villa Giulia, I will put my vote in for the following:

1) The Palazzo Massimo, with its great scuplture and its stunning collection of ancient wall painting.

2) Centrale Montemartini, the offshoot of the Capitoline Museums. A great collection, with some wonderful pieces, in the most unusual setting you wil ever find for an archaeological museum

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favourite Museums

The book's widely available elsewhere, but only American Amazon seems to offer a "look-inside" facility - which includes section on the Montemartini ....

amazon.com/Little-Known-Museums-Around-Rache…

Amazon UK have sellers offering it from under £6.50 including delivery - well worth that price!

Peter

Edited: 20 January 2011, 09:02
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favourite Museums

Ah, two! Perhaps then my other pick would be the Museo di Roma, in Palazzo Braschi - which I like for its wideranging look at the city's own history over the last 500 years or so...

http://en.museodiroma.it/

Just what's in it?

http://en.museodiroma.it/museo/le_collezioni

And, fortunately, I enjoy it enough not to mind the extra Euro slapped onto the door price by the Comune as part of their Tourist Tax...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131960814

A few pictures, starting here...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/romeaug08&page=2

and here...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/rome0210&page=2

Just over the road is the charming little Museo Barracco, for which I'd be happy to cheat - and count that as part of the same visit...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/romejan09&page=2

http://en.museobarracco.it/museo/collezione

But really two's nowhere near enough!

Peter

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Favourite Museums

I suggest that , having time enough, you visit the Corsini Gallery, Palazzo Spada and Galleria Colonna; these museums are located whese some of the families, that made the history of Rome . used to live;

In case you want to visit these unique museums and residences i suggest that you read this book:

"The Families Who Made Rome: A History and a Guide. Anthony Majanlahti. Chatto & Windus. [pounds sterling]20.00. xii 418 pages. ISBN 0-701-17687-3. This is an unusual and fascinating book and is, as its subtitle states, both a history, or collection of histories, and a guide both to the families surveyed and to Rome itself."

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favourite Museums

Herodotus: I also, as well as Peter, mentioned Villa Giulia above! But speaking of Etruscans, if you're going to the Vatican Museums (which was excluded from this exercise) you should see the Etruscan collection there, which has some wonderful pieces from Cerveteri.

The Villa Giulia could be better displayed and maintained, I must say.