We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting sisters at FCO

northern virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Meeting sisters at FCO

Hello

I will be flying into Rome on United and arriving at 8:30 am and will be meeting my sisters who are flying in from California on Aitalia arriving 12:15 pm. My first question is which terminal does United and Aitalia arrive at? I am hoping the same one. We plan to travel into Rome together after we have met up. My second question is what to do with my luggage for the 4 hrs that I will be sitting around. I will of course be exhauted from my red-eye flight and really don't want to have to drag my luggage around. Thanks for any suggestions

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,069 reviews
from US$76.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,853 reviews
from US$124.10*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,649 reviews
from US$57.50*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,842 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

My suggestion is to go straight into Rome - about 30 or so minutes on the Leonardo Express train straight to Termini for 14 euros; then, your sister, when she arrives can meet up at your lodging.

There's not much at FCO and why wait when you could get into Rome and enjoy a coffee and a walk around before meeting up with your sister.

It is all easy to do and many people speak English so it won't be a situation where your sister would get lost or confused about how to get into Rome - you zoom right there on the train.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

Both flights will arrive at Terminal 3, which is large and has loads of shops and restaurants. There is luggage storage on the Arrivals level of Terminal 3, but the levels are connected by escalator, so if you don't have oodles of luggage, it might not be worth storing it.

northern virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

Thanks for the suggestion. I am a little concerned about taking the train in as a single female traveler. I feel like I might just stand out as an easy target for a pick pocket, otherwise I would definitely consider this option. How safe do you think this would be for me?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

I do it often as a single female traveler. Just keep your wits about you and don't let anyone help you with anything. Refuse help politely but firmly. Pack light, because it's not easy to get your luggage on and off the train.

If you're still concerned about taking this trip alone, you can get a cab into Rome for 40 euros; the price may have gone up by now to 45 euros plus a charge for luggage.

I think most of the shops and restaurants at Terminal 3 are behind security, which wouldn't be accessible from the arrivals hall. There is a coffee shop, but I don't remember much else.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

I just took the train TO FCO yesterday w/no concerns. When I got to Metro Center in DC, some degenerate teenagers were being held by Metro cops. Yippee kay yay. Wonder what those dirtbags had been up to?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,842 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

You'll be fine. I am a female who has taken the train and I often go to Rome alone - it is safe. And remember the train runs from FCO (the airport) directly to Termini so everyone for the most part will be just like you; people who just got off a plane so either a tourist or someone returning home to Rome.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

I met my cousin twice in Rome. She coming from Philadelphia and me from Miami. She took the train into town on her own with no problems. I took a taxi both times. After being on such a long flight, I'd rather get to my hotel, relax a bit and then go out for a bit than hanging around an airport.

NY
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

Sitting around FCO for 4 hours after a trans Atlantic flight would likley be agony, I know because i did it not too long ago in transit.

You don't say where your hotel is, but if it is not really close to Termini, then you would also need to take a taxi from Termini to your hotel at additional cost (don't try to negotiate the metro or bus at that point). So, sometimes it is better to bite the bullet, pay more and just taxi to your hotel - alleviating all your concerns about waiting around, safety, probably a taxi ride anyway, etc.

northern virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

Thanks for all the input. Unfortunately packing light won't be an option. We are embarking on a cruise a couple of days later and I hope to get everything into my 26 inch samsonite plus a small carryon. I think that I may just have to bite the bullet and hire a taxi. The hotel we are staying at is very close to the Termini though, Starhotel Metropole. I figure that I would be hallucinating after a long flight and hanging around the airport would be painful to say the least.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeting sisters at FCO

You might want to consider a private driver. The cost is about the same as a taxi, and they'll wait for you in the arrivals hall and help you with your luggage.