We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

Hi!

My fiance and I will be married on September 3 2011 and heading from Canada to Italy the next day for our almost 3 week honeymoon!

Our planned itinerary is:

Sept 5 - Arrive in Rome. Stay for 5 nights

Sept 10 - travel to Positano for 6 nights

Sept 16 - travel to Florence for 2 nights

Sept 18 - travel to Cinque Terre for 3 nights

Sept 21 - travel to Venice for 2 nights

Sept 23 - Fly home

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this itinerary and mainly what the best way would be to travel from each place?

From what I have been reading, renting a car wouldn't be the best idea since we are going to the Amalfi coast and Cinque Terre?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

Positano for 6 night and Florence for 2.? Well I suppose it al ldepends on what is important to you. I would also not spend 3 nights in the Cinqua Terra and only 2 nights in Venice.

You can travel to all of these places using public transportation. You are right you do not need or want a car! Especailly you dont need one in Rome/ Florence and cant use one in Venice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

Understanding it is your honeymoon...and Venice is very romantic, I would skip the Cinque Terre and wander around Venice hand in hand for five glorious days!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,061 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

While Cinque Terre is on the Ligurian coast, the beauty of the area is not so different from the Amalfi Coast (mostly the difference is that the CT villages are teeny; while the AC villages are just very small) - I would suggest foregoing CT. Their sheer tininess makes for a crowded experience during the time of year you are going - daytrippers swarm the tiny villages and the hiking paths can be crowded with people. If you weren't going to the AC, then it would make sense to visit the CT but after your AC experience, there's not much difference.

Personally, I would add on time to both Florence and Venice if you forego CT, both of which deserve more time than you have allotted - From Florence you could do some exploring of the Tuscan countryside which is glorious.

Trains are good for all your destinations. If you decide to spend a bit of time exploring Tuscany, you could rent a car for a day or so.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

Agatha - We decided staying 6 nights in Positano would give us a good amount of time to see Positano itself, do a day trip to Amalfi/Ravello, day trip to Capri, day trip to Pompeii, possibly Sorrento and some relaxation/beach time as well! We wanted to have a good balance of city time and down time - outside the cities (if you could call it that!).

I am very surprised at your comments on CT. From everything that I had read it was a must see - but I do understand your explanations of it being similar to the Amalfi Coast. Maybe we will re think that part - although we were really looking forward to doing the hike between the 5 towns!

I don't have a clue on how to go about figuring out the train travel etc. When is the best time to do this and should the train tickets be booked in advance?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,061 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

I think there are literally hundreds of threads on this forum about train travel through Italy. Go to the Trenitalia website to look at the schedules between your desired destinations. Put in a date prior to June 11 (I think that is correct) because they change the schedules (not be too much) after that date and schedules for the time of year you are going won't appear but you can look at any dates up to early June and you will get a pretty accurate version of the schedules.

You can wait until you arrive in Italy to get the tickets - easy to do as there are so many to each place each day.

There have been problems historically with non-Italian credit cards being accepted by the Trenitalia website but I think I read of two recent successes from U.S. folks in last few weeks. Booking on line in advance may give you an opportunity for a discount - but, for you will need to wait until the new schedules are up (after June 11 or 12, whichever) to even try for tickets for your dates.

It's not complicated or difficult to do.

6. Re: Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 09:16