We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Topic
In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

First, what is the legal drinking age? In the US it's 21.

This is our family’s first trip to Europe: Austria, Denmark, Spain and Italy. I have been preaching about the need to embrace local culture of museums, art, and ruins. My teenage son has really grasped the concept and the importance of local cultural and stepping out of one’s comfort zone. Now, I know why. He found out that the local drinking age in Austria and Rome is 16.. He is ready to embrace that part of the culture:-) I am not quite ready to back track or embrace.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,714 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

He will, however, find that the local culture very strongly disapproves of anybody becoming drunk.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

There is no harm with him drinking wine with the family with a meal.

How old is he? If he is 18 even in the US lots of college student drink whether it is legal or not especially if they live away from home at college.

If he is under 18, local customs or not he should not be allowed to go out and alone or with other teens to drink, frequent night clubs or whatever in the evening. Would he be allowed to do this when the family is at home?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

I doubt we will have enough money to afford a decent bottle of wine:-) If there is wine, I need to be prepared. He is 16 and just being a 'pain :-)

Edited: 05 February 2011, 04:40
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

Well if you are not drinking wine with food then neither should he. What are you going to drink with meals? We usually had wine only with dinner, not at lunch. The water costs 2.5 euro for a liter bottle.

If you cannot afford wine and he gets all his money from you, then it is a moot point because he has no money to buy alcoholic beverages.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 05:28
washington, dc
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

Do you let your kids have a taste or glass of wine with you at home in the States? If so, then let them have some in a restaurant abroad. If you do not let them have a glass of wine with you in the States at home- why would you allow them to do so in a restaurant abroad?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

You missed the :-) (smiley face) and the word DECENT bottle of wine. Just to say I was not worried about him getting drunk.

Other than water or wine, what are the drinking options with meal for kids. They usually have soda or juice, even when we are having wine or beer.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

"If you do not let them have a glass of wine with you in the States at home- why would you allow them to do so in a restaurant abroad?"

According to my son, embracing the culture and doing as the Romans do:-)

I could be in trouble if I allowed a minor to drink in the US. However, I would allow him to drink at 20 in Mexico or the Caribbean which would still illegal in the US.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

I have three sons close to that age - give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Tell him he is lucky to be going to Rome let alone drinking wine!

Bribe him by saying every phrase of Italian (or German) he learns and uses he can have a sip of wine at dinner! : )

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

He wants to do as the Romans do, which means speak the language.

If he can order the entire meal in German or Italian , then why not?

He wants to see me eat or drink my words about the importance of stepping outside your comfort zone when you travel. He quoted me on that:-)

Edited: 05 February 2011, 07:11
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Rome Do As The Romans Do or Not????

We've been watching Boardwalk Empire, but I've had to resort to this to see the current situation...

…wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_…

And although a English friend's daughter got busted whilst spending the third year of her university course over in the States, I'd not realised that 21 was quite so widespread!

Perhaps it's almost unfair to allow him the forbidden fruit - only to then have to wait so long for more?

I'm sure you'll do what seems best as and when the circumstance arise but, with almost a month here, you may be saying "No" quite often!

One thing - initially you'll probably find it odd how the low taxes and duty charged levied on alcoholic drinks result in their prices at bars and restaurants being only very little higher than those for soft drinks...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131133278

Peter