We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryan Air to Rome?

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ryan Air to Rome?

Anyone with experience with Ryan Air?

I am seeing really high airfares (at least $1000) to Rome from NYC, USA for June and I need to get four of us (2 adults, 2 kids) there for a 10 day vacation in Rome and Tuscany. We are tied to our dates in late June due to school schedules.

I had heard about Ryan Air from a 20-something that was travelling around Europe last summer. It has really cheap fares from a variety of airports to Ciampino in Rome. It looks like I can definitely do this trip cheaper if I go from NYC to London or Dublin on some other airline and then on to Rome on Ryan Air. Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.

Coquitlam, BC...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryan Air to Rome?

We have booked our trip from Vancouver, Canada to London (Gatwick) as a charter, and then from London to Venice via Ryan Air as it was definitely cheaper than flying direct. One of the couples we're travelling with is English and they always use Ryan air from London over to Europe.

Check out their website for pricing (www.ryanair.com). Another one to look into is Easyjet (www.easyjet.com). Either way, keep in mind which airport in London you are flying into (Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted, etc) as your connector may fly out of another one.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryan Air to Rome?

Not sure if you do already, but you might want to sign up for travelzoo.com and travelocity.com alerts for airfare from PA to Rome. The specials are usually for travel in the next 2-3 months or so.

You could also try www.fly4less.com, but they only list the lowest prices for airfare for travel in the next 60 days.

If you do travel by Ryan Air, make sure you pack light. The baggage limit for checked baggage is 15kg and for carry-on it's 10kg and they will charge you per kg if you over pack. The earlier you check in with them at the airport, the earlier you are allowed to board and find your own seats. They do not have assigned seating. Check their website for FAQ.

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryan Air to Rome?

And bring your own sandwhich and beverage unless you want to pay triple the price what you can pu from the airport sandwhich bar !

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryan Air to Rome?

Ryanair are fine BUT be aware of thier various moneymaking scams otherwise it WILL cost you dear. See www.airlinequality.com for passenger feedback and details.

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryan Air to Rome?

I have flown Ryan Air tonnes of times and their pretty good for what you pay. Quite honestly i would rather pay half as much and find my own food elsewhere (anyway airline food is usually crap). The only thing to be aware of is that they have a first in best dressed policy in regard to seating so try and check in early and get to the gate as early as you can if you want to all sit together - although in saying that kids are generally an express pass to be seated first, so just keep an ear out. My partner and i are flying into Rome Campino this thurs via Ryan Air. Have a fab time!!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryan Air to Rome?

I live in Essex, England, so Ryan Air is really my local airline as they fly from Stansted which is in North Essex. Obviously you will have to bear this in mind, as Ryan Air do not fly from Heathrow to Rome (in the London area, they only fly from Stansted or Luton to Rome)so once you land from NYC, you will then have to transfer to one of the other airports. I have flown Ryan Air quite a few times to Italy - Rome & Brescia mainly - and have never had any problems. It is cheap, but they do have a strict weight limit on luggage, so beware excess baggage! All the terms and conditions are listed clearly on their web site.