We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome accommodation

Melbourne
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rome accommodation

Please help with Rome! Now this city is the hardest to find a decent Hotel by reviews. So many different responses! We want to be in a central position, modern very clean and well run. Our last experience in Rome some 5 years back was a disaster having been robbed in the hotel(recommended by Qantas magazine) by insider who had master key. Our last night we were admittedly careless packing all away in packed locked cases ready to leave within a few hours. Lost home flights/passports/train passes and confidence!!

Now we want to relive Rome for better memories HELP PLEASE

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome accommodation

What is your budget per night in Euro?

Your unfortunate experience is a rare one in Rome. Almost all hotels are very clean, well run and have modern amenities - or are you looking for modern decor?

The most central areas are Pantheon, Navona and Trevi.

All hotels get mixed reviews, particularly on TA where anyone with an axe to grind can submit a review. For more balanced reviews by people who have actually stayed there, look at www.venere.com, where you caan also enter dates, budget and area.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome accommodation

yes I agree rare however we even suspect it was the cleaner whose storage room was next to ours at dead end of hallway. We saw him in the hallway as we were leaving and felt uneasy and went straight back. Again he saw us and closed his door. Then we thought all was ok and left for 1 hr next door.This was a well known Hotel as i said recommended.. AND they gave us no help whats so ever when police arrived.

Now starting a fresh prepared to pay $320 p/n about euros that is staying 1 week Loved to stay in an Apt we saw but relunctant to take a chance with no official person in charge.Does Rome have the chain Citidines like Paris etc

Thank you so much..

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome accommodation

I've stayed at hotel piazza di spagna, and hotel delle nazioni both were good, piazza di spagna was smaller but the guy at the front desk was helpful. Nazioni was more central, had more comfortable beds and was nicer but the staff was no help, I had to go to an english language bookstore in Trestevere for advice. I would stay at either hotel again.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome accommodation

There's no chain like Citadines in Rome. A very few hotels also have apartments, sometimes in adjacent buildings. Have a look at Palazzo Olivia: It's apartments with an onsite manager. There's also Palazzo al Velabro, but whereas I've often seen good reviews for Palazzo Olivia, I haven't seen any, good or bad, for Palazzo al Velabro.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome accommodation

Truly a frightening tale...everyone's worst nightmare, and one cannot but I hope it doesn't ruin your upcoming visit. We love Rome...and this trip we plan on staying at small well reviewed hotel that is very centrally located. Check out Relais Maddalena, which is 'just' close enough to the Pantheon. Good luck!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome accommodation

Thanks so much all I'm very optimistic about this trip to Rome. Some one else has said Hotel delle nazioni is good, maybe I can work on my Italian before hand! I'll check out the others as well.

Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome accommodation

When are you going and how long will you be there?

Due to a family illness, I just had to cancel out an adorable 1 bedroom apartment with glowing reviews that I had rented from April 11th - 29th. It is first floor and within walking distance of the Vatican. Booked it through VRBO. Wish I didn't have to cancel out this trip, but I can't risk being out of the country at this time.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome accommodation

Thankyou for details of Apt . Sorry you had to cancel. I should now close this question as we have booked at hotel Barroco and I will certainly report back in Oct after our 2 mths away on all our accommodation throughout Italy

hope all improves with your family illness.

9. Re: Rome accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2012, 05:26