We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

I'd like to take my mother-in-law on a night tour of Rome and are looking for recommendations. She's in her 60's so a tour via bus would be best. Thanks.

City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Free Bike Tours Rome
Bike Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Segway Fun Rome
City Tours, Segway Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

Rome is a city best seen by walking. If I were limited in my walking I'd go to the library and pick up a copy of Rick Steve's latest guide book and check out his "night tour" series of self guided walks and choose a part of it that is within my limits, probably encompassing Trevi Fountain, The Pantheon and Piazza Navona. I'd also take a cab ride along the Tiber past Castel Sant'Angelo, and along the Via dei Fiori Imperiali which would take my past the Vittorio Emanuel II Monument the Roman Forums and the Colosseum all lit to perfection! There may be bus tours or other organized tours so perhaps someone else will have some suggestions for you as well. Personally, I'm a DIY traveler.

Good luck!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

In the past, Trambus Open has run night tours on Fridays and Saturdays in season. This is from 2009:

www.trambusopen.com/news/116_all_it.pdf

There's a telephone number indicated.

Otherwise, Viator has night tours offered by private tour operators.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

No bus tour will be able to take you right up to Piazza Navona or Trevi Fountain, as they are in areas that are off limits to traffic. I agree with EternalCity that a walking tour is best for those areas. Maybe you could look for a bus tour that leaves you near this sites and waits for your return. Otherwise, the Trambus Open tour mentioned by Zerlina would be ideal if they run it again this year.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

http://www.allarounditalys.net/rome-by-night/

We haven't been on trip yet so I can't comment from personal experiance, but they have been very responsive in the planning phase.

I think it is a private tour so I'm not sure how that fits into your budget, but it might be a nice option.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

Like the others I feel the best way to see Rome at night is to walk. However, there are times when that might not be possible, and traveling with an older person can be one of those times. We found ourselves in a similar position on one of our visits to Rome and, since we don't like organized tours, we found a compromise that worked really well for us.

We made a list of those places we wanted to see at night. During the day we showed our list of sights to a taxi driver and negotiated a price for his services at an agreed upon time that evening. For a set sum he picked us up at our hotel and drove us to the places we wanted to see. At each stop we left the taxi to wander the area and take photographs while the driver waited for us. When we were finished with a location we simply went back to the taxi and were driven to the next stop. At the end of the evening he returned us to our hotel.

I don't remember the price we agreed on, but do remember it was surprisingly very reasonable. When divided by the number of people in our group the per person cost in the taxi turned out to be much, much less than the advertised cost of the night time bus tours. The added benefit was that we in effect designed our own private tour. We were able to go to the places we wanted and to spend as much or as little time in each area as we chose. And we did this without having to be a part of a large group.

This turned out to be a fantastic night! As the evening progressed the driver got to know us and acted more and more as a friend showing us his city. His stories were great, adding a personal dimension to what we were seeing. Before returning us to our hotel, he actually took us to meet his family, and when the night ended he left us with goodnight kisses on both cheeks!

I'd highly recommend this to you as a way to allow your mother-in-law to see Rome at night. If my experience is any indication, you'll have a great evening, seeing the sights of your choosing at your own pace. And you'll do so far more economically than using a tour bus!

Have a wonderful time in this amazing city!

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
57 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

This sounds like an excellent way tour such a city at night that one is not familiar with. Did you use an official cab

for this or an independant driver service?

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
57 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

This sounds like an excellent way tour such a city at night that one is not familiar with. Did you use an official cab

for this or an independant driver service?

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

Romecabs are a reliable organization providing luxury vehicles. I haven't used them for a tour, only airport transfers, but they provided excellent service for the transfers, receive glowing reviews on this site and advertise Night Tours from €120.00 for up to 4 people and € 200.00 for up to 8 people.

http://www.romecabs.com/tours/rome-at-night/

NW Indiana
Level Contributor
57 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

Thanks Wigwam3..this sounds great! Just what I was looking for!

10. Re: Rome Night Tours - need your recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 07:15