We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

I have a 2:30pm Vatican tour and nothing to do in the a.m. I was wondering if I could travel to Nettuno early in the morning, visit the cemetary, and return to the Vatican area by 1:30pm. On the same train line or a possible tranfer to a metro bus???. Is this tmetable doable???

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

It's 1 hr 10 minutes from Roma Termini to Nettuno. The American Military Cemetery Web site says it's a mile north of the train station; you could walk or take a taxi. On the return trip, you'd take Metro A from Termini to Cipro-Musei Vaticani.

For schedules, look at www.trenitalia.com; to see fares, use a date within the next seven days.

Mind you, the thought of "nothing to do" in Rome seems a little strange. There are a million things to do in Rome.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 20:27
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

We've been to the cemetery a few times - once on a school trip (bus) and a couple other times on our motorino (much more fun!)

It is an easy ride by train and once you get to the Nettuno train station, you can catch a taxi to take you out to the cemetery - they are quite familiar with the route as many folks come via the trains. The cemetery is quite beautiful and moving. Both our parents are military vets so we tried to go once a year.

Here is their website: www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/sr.php

I imagine this can be done, if you get an early start...

Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

2 years ago, we visited the American Military Cemetery outside of Impruneta (near Florence), with our teenagers in tow. It was an overwhelming and amazing visit, in particular as our son is somewhat of a WWII movie and book fan, and the vast array of endless graves was quite a history lesson.

We were accompanied by a Dutch family we'd just met at our agristurismo. The "dad" was Jewish, and his father was a boy who hid for many months with his extended family in a warehouse attic in Rotterdam during WWII, much like Anne Frank did, aided and abetted by many non-Jewish neighbors and acquaintances. The motivation of our new Dutch friend in bringing his kids to see the cemetery was to show them the sacrifices made by the Americans, British and others to ensure that they were free to live and prosper, as a Jewish family in the Netherlands today.

It was quite a moment, and brings up strong emotions to write this, even 2 years later. So though I can't help you with the logistics, I encourage you to go!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

Thank you for your reply. You are correct there are a million things to do and having been to Rome many times we have done alot!! I was just hoping we could visit the cemetary and be back in time for our 2:30 tour. Do I have to take the train all the way back to the Termini or can I get off closer to the vatican on the return trip??

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

There's no stop closer to the Vatican than Termini.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

Thanks for the reply. Can we get to the Vatican without returning to the Termini on the return trip???

Cleveland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

wow are you prompt. I also asked that question to another blogger before reading yours, sorry. Thanks for the information!!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

Thank you for that beautiful story. This will be our 6th cementary we have visited while traveling throughout the world. We just take a litttle time to remember those who gave so much so that we could live our daily lives freely!!!

9. Re: traveling from Rome to Nettuno to go to the American cemetay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 17:16