We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iphone as a gps - no data charges

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
iphone as a gps - no data charges

Hi

There are a few aps you can buy for the iphone that give you a gps with their own maps so you don't use the internet data charges. In otherwords after you pay for the europe map it is free to use.

Has anyone had experience with these eg: Navigon, Tom tom, Copilot live.

1. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 22:24
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

The GPS feature of "maps" or "rome2go" or any apps for that matter require internet to work.

If you want an app to find where you are and give you directions from your current location or find things around you, it will need internet (free wifi or 3G on the phone) to operate.

Something like Rome2go works offline, but you have to know where you are and know where you are going to use the directions feature. It will work online and find your current location only if you have internet connection via wifi or 3G.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

VTJedi,

You do not need to use the internet on your phone to access these gps apps. You load them onto your phone and your phone then works just like your car GPS which does not connect to data.

See the apple itunes site where you can buy them:

"No mobile signal or data plan is required to browse your map and navigate to your destination."

…apple.com/au/app/tomtom-europe/id355680531…

I was wondering if anyone had used them. Tom tom, navigon, nav4 etc.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

There is one - Nav4D - that allows you to use the maps for 30 days for around $2.99 per country which sounds like a good idea if you don't go to europe that often. The whole of western europe is $7.99. It uses no data. You can get them for iphone or ipad.

They are all ONLY available on the itunes website under apps.

When we get back I will review it for you.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

I'm curious about these! Just looked at TomTom Italy and it is $64.99...about the same cost as renting a GPS system with our rental car. Would love to hear any feedback from users. I'm not a techie by any means and and wonder how these work without data plans. I would be scared to use it on my iphone for fear of racking up charges, but it would be great for my ipad, which does not have 3g, so no need to worry about data charges.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

You can turn off your 3G so you know it is not going to download data.

A car GPS doesn't use data so the phone is used in the same way.

The only thing is that I cannot find a review of the NAV4D anywhere on the internet. This seems pretty incredible and is a huge worry! It looks okay on the website. The road names are in strange places rather than along the road (as in the tom tom) the names are horizontal and have a little arrow to the roads. But I guess I could put up with that considering the price. I am hoping someone has used one so we will know more.

The tom tom europe map is 149 AUD and it doesn't include greece (where we are going). I can't buy it from the US site even though it is much cheaper there cos the itunes site redirects you to the australian site automatically. V annoying.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

Sorry if you read the london forums where I have also posted this:

This is like the blind leading the blind here but I have now found navmii maps which are very cheap 3 GBP for italy which require no data connection. I have seen some reviews for this one and it seems good.

Would like to hear from anyone who has used them for the iphone.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

Very interesting!

I'm curious how large these apps are and how much space they take up.

You'd think that to be able to operate offline, it would either take forever for the maps to load, or they would be incredibly large in size to have so much data that they'd have to put on your iPhone. I guess it could be compressed data.

Just remember that to use these apps, they won't be able to "find you" the way the average car GPS can find you and immediately find things around you. You have to enter where you are on their pre-programed, pre-downloaded maps on your iPhone that you presumably get when installing the app and you will have to know where you are going to use them.

A GPS device in your car has a radio signal that it sends to find where you are and locate you. GPS = Global Positioning Satellite.

The average car GPS is different from these apps on your iPhone. They will only be able to "locate you" when connected to the internet. Offline, they can direct you based on pre-programmed information - that's it. That may be all you need if you will already know based on looking at the map where you are and don't need their software to actually locate you and find things around you.

This is how I understand it, even reading up on some of those apps.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

VT JEdi,

It seems it works just like a car gps.

There seems to have been some glitches with the product if you search the questions on the link below. But a new version has been brought out for the new iphone 4

Question to Navmii support:

Do I need data to use the app overseas?

Answer:

No. Navmii is an 'onboard' sat-nav: All data and facilities required to operate are included in the app.

However there are exceptions - Navmii does intially require an internet connection to perform its map activation - after that internet is never required.

Activation

Navmii initially requires an internet connection to register and activate its map set. This should only need to be performed once and it can be achieved over 3G/GPRS or via Wi-Fi.

A dialog stating that "one or more maps are not activated" gives option to view the installed map regions and perform activation. By selecting an unactivated region another dialog will offer the option to activate.

Here you will need to provide an email address. You can re-activate Navmii again any time if required but you will always need to use the same email address as an account will have been created for you at www.navmii.com

Live Data Services

Navmii supports an increasing number of live data services such as local search - these services can be disabled if required from within the Navmii preferences menu to ensure data connection cannot be utilised by Navmii

The Google local search function does naturally need a connection - without this feature you are restricted to our own internal address lookup functions which are not as powerful as the Google search.

Navmii France works great in Airplane Mode

See:

getsatisfaction.com/navmii/topics/can_i_use_…

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iphone as a gps - no data charges

Let me know how it works out for you! I was reading some more on it and I think what I was looking at was not recent. It seems more of these apps have replaced what I was looking at.

iPhones and other smart phones are gradually replacing GPS in cars for a lot of people. The GPS in iPhones is somewhat different from those in cars... they are what is known as A-GPS or Assisted GPS because phones go places where GPS won't always work on its own so their system is a little different. They pull their data not just from GPS, but from wifi, cell towers, and the phone's built in compass.

The GPS alone in the average smartphone is also weaker than the average GPS in a car. That's why phones need the A-GPS.

Good luck with these apps - there don't seem to be a lot of reviews for them.

What would be interesting to find out is if you need a SIM card for them to work. The reviews I saw on Google for TomTom said it needs to triangulate the signal from cell towers, hence the "assist" in assisted GPS. If you don't have 3G on the phone and you're not using it to make calls with a SIM card... then where do you get your "assist" to the GPS.

At this point, it's over my head and knowledge - though I love reading about and talking about iPhones. I interned at Apple for several months several years ago. :-)

good luck!

Edited: 09 March 2011, 05:28