We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

Can anyone tell me if it is better to take the bus from Pompeii to Mount Vesuvius or to take the train to Herculaneum and then the bus to the top We will be travelling from Rome in April, and want to see Mount Vesuvius first and then either Herculaneum or Pompeii. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

Check out the Naples Forum. You'll find a ton of information there.

canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at the Naples forum and am still a little confused as to whether there is still a bus that goes to Vesuvius from Naples in April and what type of service is offered to Vesuvius from the Herculaneum train station. I''m trying to reduce the amount of travelling and waiting time on this trip since it will be a long day trip from Rome.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

Years ago we went on a tour that covered Vesuvius and Pompeii in the same tour, yes might of cost more but at the time it worked for us. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

We're willing to go with a tour, but do not want to spend anytime in gift shops or an excessively long time in a mediocre restaurant. Does anyone know of a good tour from Rome that does not stop at a gift shop or cameo factory?

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

We got our tour out of Naples, Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

Check out the Viator.com tours. They look reasonable and have gotten great reviews. That's the company I'm planning to use.

westland michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

In 2007 I took the train to Naples than spend the morning in the Archeological Museum. After that I meet a Viator mini tour bus at a hotel near the train station that took us up the mountain for some time to walk around the summit. We also had a tour guide with us. Nice day.

8. Re: Best way to reach the summit of Mount Vesuvius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 12:18