We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wife alone in FCO ?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Wife alone in FCO ?

My wife and I were scheduled to arrive in FCO early Saturday afternoon and then meet my son & daughter-in-law when they get in Saturday night to ride to hotel in Sorrento. I may have to be with my mom on Saturday instead. Just wanted to get folks thoughts on my wife spending 4 - 6 hours alone in FCO until my son arrives and recommendations on a good cafe for her to hang out.

One big concern I have is if my son's flight doesn't make it thus leaving my wife there alone having to find a hotel.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

It is not clear your intended plan for FCO to Sorrento, but I can tell you that 4-6 hours in FCO will be gruesome, especially if this is after a long flight. You should perhaps prepare for divorce. I cannot think of any nice "cafe" that is not in the air side (beyond security), but maybe others can, and even if there is someplace it will be only half gruesome. I do not think this is a good plan, maybe you should consider booking a hotel for that night where you can all meet. Know this is not a lot of help, sorry

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

Thanks TravelSmith. It is helpful. We have a private car scheduled to pick us (or now possibly them) up at FCO around 8:30p to drive us to Sorrento. My wife doesn't want to ride with him alone though so if my son is delayed I think she'd prefer to get a hotel for the night.

Gruesome? As in really dirty? Unappealing? Hounded by gangs of pickpocket kids?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

It's neither really dirty nor haunted by gangs of pickpocket kids, but it's not the most attractive or interesting place to spend many hours.

Why on earth wouldn't your wife want to ride alone with a private driver? If you booked him through a reputable company, he's licensed, and he's not going to risk losing his license and his livelihood to try anything on with your wife.

And if your wife decides at the last minute to stay in a hotel, how is she going to cancel the driver? Is he from Rome or Sorrento? If he's from Sorrento, he'd have had to leave hours before.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,525 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

Quincypup, I've been in a lot of airports all over the world, and if my DH told me to just "hang out" alone in any of them for four-six hours after a transatlantic flight, like travelsmith said, I'd get going on that divorce.

Why isn't your wife coming with you to see your mother? Surely your son and daughter in law, if they are old enough to get married and fly on an airplane, can find you at your Mom's?

Airports are just no fun.

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

This is a family meeting, not a medical emergency, no need for my wife or kids to be there. We did look at my wife going with me but were unable to get seats for both of us at this late date so she's going ahead with the original flights.

Zerlina, no concerns about the driver, simply an issue of my wife being a bit on the shy side and being uncomfortable with a several hour drive with someone she doesn't know. All car services setup alerts for flight arrival times, if their flight is significantly delayed he won't come (or will turn around and head home if he'd already started out). This would be the same if my wife or I were or weren't there.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

I still don't get it. The driver is being booked to meet your son and daughter-in-law's flight at about 8:30 pm. Flights into FCO in the evening are from Tokyo, Moscow, the Maldives or from European countries. Even if their flight is "significantly delayed" (which means what? how many hours?), a driver booked for FCO to Sorrento will assume that the passengers still want to get to Sorrento. So he'll go to FCO.

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

Zerlina, the drivers stay on top of flight arrival times. They do not want to sit around an airport waiting a lot of extra time. If a flight is an hour or two or three late then they adjust their schedule accordingly to pick everyone up at that time. If the flight is canceled (eg, delayed until the next day) then they try to contact the passengers (if pax haven't contacted them yet) to make arrangements for another day. This is all very routine for them. About 1 in 5 of the flights they're meeting are either late or canceled.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

Of course drivers adjust their arrival times according to flight arrival times.

But I think we're talking at cross purposes. The discussion started because your wife didn't want to ride *alone* with the driver. So if the driver adjusts his pick-up time according to your son and daughter-in-law's projected flight arrival, how would your wife end up alone with him?

If your wife is shy, she doesn't have to chat with the driver. I'm sure many drivers would be delighted *not* to have to engage in chit-chat, particularly at the end of the day.

But it all sounds rather muddled to me. Book a driver to take your wife to a hotel in Rome, where she can spend time pleasantly. Your son and daughter-in-law can join her there when they arrive. Then they can all drive down to Sorrento together the next day.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

Very interesting - OK, your mother is not traveling at all, right? And your wife is arriving early, then your kids that evening and maybe you on still another flight, maybe even the next day?

Given this situation for myself I would probably book a hotel room for my wife either around FCO or even Rome and arrange for Rome Cabs to whisk her there when she first arrives. Get a room at the same place for your kids and have them meet up there that night and go to Sorrento the next morning via your driver. Advise the place in Sorrento. (I am not sure how you get there if you arrive the next day, but you can figure yourself out).

Yes, I know this is extra expense, but sometimes we have to bite the bullet for security, health, convenience, and peace of mind, not to mention avoiding a divorce. I am most concerned about your wife being shy and trying to sit it out at FCO dragging luggage all the time and not even knowing if your trailing family is going to make it that day, or how to meet, etc. At least she would have a better place to hang out even if she cannot check in the room. (actually somtimes I even reserve a room for the night before as well and advise the hotel I am not arriving until early morning, but keep that room free for me to crash. This would be best if she doesn't want to walk around the hotel for fresh air etc for a few hours in case they won't check her in)

Lastly, again I would never set my wife to hang at FCO by herself, and she is a pretty seasoned traveller.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,525 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wife alone in FCO ?

I agree with Zerlina and Travelsmith--get a hotel in Rome. A car picking you up at the airport at 8:30 (assuming the flight is on time and all the rest) isn't going to deposit you in Sorrento until nearly 11:30 at night. Yuck!

And if your son misses the flight--you need the hotel in Rome anyway.

Better to stay in Rome and go from there--you should enjoy the scenic view if you will be paying to be driven to Sorrento.

Lastly, I have absolutely no suggestions, tips or advice for having your wife spend hours *alone* at the airport.

Edited: 15 March 2011, 02:40