We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Topic
Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Hi everybody,

I have just returned from a trip to Italy...Especially Rome has left me with a bad taste in my mouth...I spend a day totally by myself, enjoying the city at my onw pace. While walking around in the circus maximus (probably with a map in my hand) a very handsome stranger (well dressed!) asked me the time. Before I even realised we started talking (he had an aunt living in Belgium, he know even the city ect.). He told me he was as student and was prepared to give me some more info about the city. He showed me a nice spot where we could sit together.We had a nice chitchat and than he asked me to have an 'aperitif' together. He would go and buy a bottle for us. Okay I admit at this time alarmbells where going off in my head but I ignored them.Before he left he said we would share the bill.He came back, we drank to glasses and than he told me he would bring me buy motorbike to the cashmachine as I did not have money on me. I refused and he got annoyed. Finally we went by foot to the bankmachine and it turned out to be JUST AROUND THE CORNER (a million alarmbells went off!)Before we got there he offered me to bring me to the place I wanted to go by his bike. Luckily my common sense still worked a tiny little bit and I refused again. Finally I paid 16 euro for the 2 glasses from this stupid spumante bottle. Untill now I cannot understand how he got me so far. The only explanation I have is that he did everything step by step and that he was VERY MUCH experienced, almost psychopatic. I kept believing people can not be so bad....I always like to talk with native people about there country and never had bad experiences untill now. So this is a warning to all women and girls: NEVER EVER trust a well-dress goodlooking, friendly, helping guy in Rome. I don't mind about the 16 euro I lost...but I don't want to think what had happened when I had actually jumped onto the back of his bike...I am happy I returned home in all pieces, I hope you will as well!

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,639 reviews
from US$74.33*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,016 reviews
from US$60.93*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$402.12*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,438 reviews
from US$146.96*
US$163.29
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Actually, although few people know it, the second of those two famous but fictional Belgian detectives is still a prisoner somewhere here on Ischia....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_and_Alph-Art

Peter

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Something like that happened to my uncle last Monday. Instead it was a young attractive woman. He went back for on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and the same thing happened. He couldn't find her on Saturday or Sunday.

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Haha I thought about all those lessons but for some reason it neglected them...probably because of his handsomness...:-).

Actually I had to pay him 14 euros but he only had 2 euro change... I know my story make me sound like very naive... In the end like the other say, it was a bargain this lesson I had...

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

When we are on holiday I think we all let out guard down sometimes. 16 Euros is not too bad. Thanks for letting us know and I think it happens in most cities.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Peter,

You don't really expect Tintin to still be at that villa! Milou (or Snowy) wouldn't have it!

Ooo, it's been eons since I've read that book...I think I'll go read it again! Thanks for the reminder....and now I'm sad I'm not visiting Ischia :(

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,911 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Thank you so much, hope everybody reads this before going to Rome, maybe we can put that good looking guy out of business. Hope they don't think l am that good looking guy. LOL, thanks again. Hubie

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Hi

Thank you for posting your warning, you are a very nice and brave person to openly share your experience with us. People like us are happy to talk to other people when we are travelling and thank goodness for our female second sense and that 'alarm bell'. Don't let it put you off there are rat's all over the world!, but thankfully there are more good people around.

Happy travelling.

regards

Plymdev.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Very interesting Hastings! There is a startling parallel between "nomorepickpockets" strange tale, and Tintin's reasons for visiting Ischia. I wonder if she has a 'spiritual leader' that she failed to mention? And obviously the motorbike was a dead give away..... ;-)

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Dear all,

This reminded me my very sad experience in Rome. It was happened in the summer 1984. At that time I was travel alone (right after I graduated from University), I was wandering at the most popular sightseeing fountain in the hot summer sun, a man at around 30 years old approached me and said something about the beautiful Rome and we talked for a while then he suggested to have a cup of coffee somewhere nearby. I followed him into a "restaurant" indeed I found out later it was a club! I ordered a cup of coffee and he ordered a glass of wine. Suddenly two girls came in and suggested to dance with us, I was so puzzled about this and he immediately stood up and danced with the girl hands in hands, the other girls took my arm and led me stood up and I danced with her. I felt so uneasy and requested to leave. And I told the man that I had to leave and to meet my friends. He said something in Italian and he went away, the waiter came with a bill of I couldn't remember how much in the old Italian Currency, I was then circled by some big guys and they tried to grab my wallet and passport, they just yelled in Itailian and I was so scared. Finally I gave them USD$1,500!!!

It was in 1984, USD$1,500 was a fortune to me--- a young man just graduated from university and was touring Europe with my hard saved money that I earned by working part time for a number of years.

I was so depressed and felt shame about how stupid I was.

However, my bad experience does not deter me from visiting the city and other parts of Italy again. I went to different places of Italy and really enjoyed all my journeys in Italy. Also I am going to Rome again next month.

It is this topic that recalled my sad experience in Rome. But I still love Rome. It is a wonderful place.

Good luck to all the travellers and readers of tripadvisor.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Be aware for the friendly goodlooking, welldressed in Rome

Hi frequenttraveller,

It is a sad tale, but of course it sounds as if you have enjoyed the years you have travelled around and no doubt like us have wonderful stories and memories chatting and befriended other travellers.

Kind regards

Plymdev