We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is customs at FCO?

New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How long is customs at FCO?

Hi, I"ve already booked my flight out of Chicago flyng to Venice connecting through Rome FCO. My flight should arrive at Rome at 8:10 and the Venice flight leaves at 10:00, is that enough time to clear customs? It's a Delta flight codeshare Atilia. What happens if I miss the connection? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,428 Reviews
from US$83.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$415.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$124.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is customs at FCO?

If the flights are on the same ticket, your luggage should be checked through and you should make it. Passport control can take a while, but there's no customs if you're in transit. If the flights are on the same ticket and you miss the connection, they put you on the next flight to Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is customs at FCO?

You must be referring to immigration/passport control. It will be fast if there are no other arriving flights. Looks like you have a little over 2 hours to connect so it should be all right.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is customs at FCO?

Be sure to pack essentials in your carry-on luggage that would hold you over for a few days. With tight connections, passengers may make the connection better than their luggage. It sometimes takes days for your luggage to catch up with you. Include the name of your first hotel on your tags, and also include your contact information inside your luggage.

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,554 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is customs at FCO?

Another reason to pack light and only take a carry on if possible. When in Rome recently at my hotel, a couple said they had already been in Rome for 2 nights/2 days and their luggage (Air France) was still missing. They had had a connection in Paris and their luggage didn't make it somewhere along the line.

To make matters worse, when the hotel person suggested they contact their travel insurance company so they could go ahead and buy what they needed, the couple said they didn't have travel insurance, which I found really surprising, but....

Packing light and having travel insurance: two essential things to help make trips less hassle free.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New Lenox, IL
Level Contributor
267 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is customs at FCO?

Thank you. To be honest I didn't consider travel insurance, since I'm planning this trip on my own. How do you get the insurance?

6. Re: How long is customs at FCO?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 12:19