We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow - Am I under packing?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Wow - Am I under packing?

A friend & I are booked for a Trafalgar trip to Rome, Venice & Florence in early May. Couldn't wait till May, thus started packing :) We're both the same build & height, and grew up sharing clothes and accessories occasionally. We just packed the clothes for our trip, and wonder if we're underpacked.

We each bring our own light jean, 2 sleeveless tops, 1 sleeved top and a dressy shirt. We plan to share 2 light ankle-high skirts, 1 long flowy dress, 1 short light poly-rayon dress, and few dressy scarves. For warmth, we each packed 1 flowery thermal, a ribbed turtleneck, a weather jacket (also acts as rain cover), 2 pairs of stockings, and 2 pairs of warm tights (for wearing on the stockings if needed) . We plan to do laundry twice - in Venice and in Florence, but might skip one if we're able to wear some outfits twice between washings.

We planned aggressively so we could limit baggage to a 22-inch rolly each. All the above is now packed in a single rolly with some space left for toiletries & underwear. Is this enough? Should we add a warm shawls or anything else to the above? Also, do hotels provide laundry services in Italy, and how much should we expect to pay?

Thanks much for your suggestions!

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

You don't say how long you are staying.

Everyone's tolerance for cold is personal. I think you should look at average temperatures in Venice in May to see if you have the right gear and shoes.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,147 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

Nice to see someone not over packing, seem prepared for all weather,

you really never know but I have found Rome on the warm side in May, cooler evenings, and Venice just a little cooler, just do be prepared for rain,

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

sophie

The other day I was sitting here in Australia with jumper, long pants and woollen boots and checked the venice weather and it was the same average temperature here as it will be in Venice when we are there at the end of May! I am hoping being out walking around will make it more bearable. But then I know I feel the cold more than some others.

San Jose, California
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

The trip is for 9 days. Based on the responses and then looking up and comparing weathers to my city and Venice, I'm not packed right for the weather. I'm going to replace some of the light clothing with warmer ones, and go for warm shawls and a long jacket.

Given the heavier luggage, I'll also try to pack (even) less. Do hotels offer laundry services (not dry clean)? How expensive are these?

I didn't realize Italy was colder than my home town - duh! Thanks again!!

Albuquerque NM
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

Hooray for a light packer! I travel with a 20" pilot case and a shoulder bag for a two to three- week oversea trip. Yes, it can be done even in the winter. The trick is to wear heavy clothing such as jeans (although I don't wear it in Europe), a thickest top you'll be wearing and heaviest shoes (I usually wear semi dressy loafer and don't even carry spare shoes sometimes) and stay in mutual colors. A tee shirt can be used for a pajama top and you can wash underwear when you take a shower or a bath. Take a few accessories such as bracelets, necklaces and scarves.

Do not forget to take a small travel size umbrella.

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

Hotel laundry services are usually pretty expensive, €3-4 for each top. I usually do sink washes when I'm not in an apartment and for heavier items like jeans I find a drop off laundry that will do it for me. On recent trips, I could get a small tote bag of laundry done for €7 wash/dry/fold within 2 hours.

I would suggest that once you have your suitcase "packed" that you try living out of it for a week to see if you can live with the number of items you've packed. YOu might find you need more or less of something.

TAB

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

I think you should add a couple cotton tees and a light sweater. And yes, some sort of pashima or shawl for late night walks home from dinner.

NY
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

This is a gender-neutral comment - if your shoes are sturdy for walking and pretty much weather/water resistant, then you can get by with one pair of shoes. If not, then you might want to take a second pair in case they get water soaked.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

hppy, I don't think the weather in Italy is colder than San Jose; I'm 5 miles from you. I usually travel to Italy in May, and I find the evenings and early mornings warmer than here. It's very pleasant, around the 60's.

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wow - Am I under packing?

You really can't predict the weather. Our local guys can't tell it's snowing without looking out a window.

Last May (the first week), I was in Venice and it was very rainy and cool. I wore a fleece jacket/ rain shell nearly every day and since the heat was turned off in the apartment, I wore several layers inside. Do take something for rain and shoes that will hold up to wet conditions. I just checked my photos and in most of them, people were wearing long sleeves and light jackets. There were a few periods of sun but I don't remember heat. Damp always feels cooler.

TAB