We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First week of May - which day to do the Vatican?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First week of May - which day to do the Vatican?

We will be in Rome the first week of May and am aware of the throngs of people expected to descend on the Vatican for the beatification ceremony. We'd like to see the Vatican that week but want to avoid the 'crowd of millions.' It looks like Tuesday or Wednesday will be the best day for us.

Do we do the Tuesday PM Vatican tour and risk the chance there still may be some crowd left over from the earlier in the week ceremonies or wait until Wenesday afteroon after the Papal blessing? Which do you think would be less crowded?

I checked the Vatican website and the tours are available on both afternoons. I know it's hard to predict crowds, but what do you Rome experts think?

Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First week of May - which day to do the Vatican?

I'd try to go on Wednesday morning, before the crowds head from the papal audience to the museums. Or Thursday afternoon.

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First week of May - which day to do the Vatican?

Ok...Wednesday morning is doable for us. I checked the website again and the tour is available.

Thursday, our daughter who is studying in Rome this semester, finishes school and wanted to see the Colosseum and Forum with us. We have a tour booked in the morning. We may be too tired in the afternoon for a tour of the Vatican.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This is our first trip to Italy and I can't wait!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First week of May - which day to do the Vatican?

Isn't the first week of May the first week that has the after hours tour on Friday night for the same price as the daytime tour? If so, I'd do that since it should be less crowded.

4. Re: First week of May - which day to do the Vatican?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 10:23