We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

Hi all

Tripadvisor had given me precious info in Mid 2009 when I planned my first trip to Paris. I am thinking of a 10-day break in June to Italy. I hope to get some advice here. By the way, I will fly to Italy from Singapore.

1. Fly into Rome and use Rome as a base. i.e spend like 3 nights in Rome and take a train to Florence for 2 nights and 2 nights in Venice and back to Rome for another 1 night before back to Singapore.

2. Or should I just focus on Rome and Florence?

Hope to hear some advice. Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

Kenneth

Rome, Florence & Venice is a good combo but I stayed five-nights in each.

minnesota
Level Contributor
278 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

Your post says you have 8 nights in Italy. I would do four nights in Rome and four in Florence. there is so much to do with those two cities as your base, you will have a full vacation.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,810 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

I would recommend splitting your time between Rome and Florence. 10 total days is not enough to really enjoy 3 cities especially when you take jet lag and train travel into consideration.

Donna

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

If at all 'possible' I would extend the trip to 15 nights...after all you are flying half-way around the world. That way you you could do all three cities properly and take a day trip in each. However, if that is not possible I would cut the trip to two cities...and include a day trip or two.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

Havee you booked your flight? If not you could fly into Rome and out of Venice and spend time in each without backtracking.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
470 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

Its a shame that you arent able to extend your time in Italy. The Rhythm of Rome alone will monopolize your time but Florence and her graceful beauty will also command your attention. With that said i agree with a few posters above regarding more time in both Rome and Florence. If i am mistaken your days allotted to each city add up to 8 days yet you say you have 10 days; which i am assuming you are including travel days.

I would spend spend four to five days in Rome and three days in Florence. Venice is easily accessed via the train and for such a short trip i wouldn't devote a great deal of time to the city. A day trip is absolutely fine until you are able to properly investigate Venice in the future.

Rome will never be fully appreciated in a week, a month and as i have come to know - a year. however, those extra days give you the flexibility to visit Ostia Antica which i suggest along with mapping out the usual suspects (colosseo, Forum, Baths of Caracalla, Vatican, Trevi, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona)

Rome - in its chaotic ballet can be very overwhelming that should not discourage you in the least.

Enjoy your trip!

Singapore
Level Contributor
120 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

THANKS to all who have given me valuable feedback. I shall focus on Rome and Florence and include Venice if possible. Shall focus on 2 key cities.

8. Re: Planning my next trip to Europe - Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 18:18