We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of "Italian breakfast"

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,389 posts
708 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of "Italian breakfast"

Out of a bar close to Termini station I saw a notice showing the offer "Italian breakfast: cappuccino + croissant + orange juice, 6 euros" (in English).

Anybody who has some experience of Rome knows that on the average a cappuccino costs 1 euro or a bit more, a croissant .70-.80 euros, and an orange juice some 2 euros. I think, even in this bar, three customers ordering separately these three things would pay some 4 euros.

So, I suggest not to trust so much these "offers", especially if they are written in English (a "real" offer should be addressed to local people too).

By the way: the real "Italian breakfast" usually consists of cappuccino and croissant, without orange juice (drinking milk and orange juice in the same meal may even have harmful effects).

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

We make a point to avoid any menu that is written in English. But Rome for thousands of years has been a Caveat Emptor sort of place.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,554 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

I haven't been lucky enough to find a cappuccino for just about 1 euro in quite a long time now - for one for which I can sit anyway; standing yes, but not where I can sit in the morning while I'm trying to wake up n, no; not even in the non-touristy neighborhoods.

Where is such an inexpensive delight available? I will be there!

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,389 posts
708 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

I refer by default to "standing" prices. Certainly if you sit and order sitting, the price is higher. But some bars (I can't say what, because I never sit) allow you to order the cappuccino standing, and then to sit down bringing the cappuccino on your own.

Anyway, nothing assures that taking the "offer" for 6 euros in that bar you are allowed to sit!

Edited: 08 April 2011, 19:08
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

I can't imagine what possible harm can come from having milk and orange juice at the same meal. Many people have a bowl of cereal with milk and a glass of orange juice many times a week (including me) with no adverse effects that I've ever heard of.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
995 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

From theanswerbag.com: There is a common urband legend that if you combine orange juice and milk and drink the concoction you will vomit. But this is nothing but a false rumor. If you mix the two liquids the citric acid of the orange juice will curdle the milk. However it is not harmful to consume and it will not cause illness. Milk is curdled in your stomach anyways and turned into a type of cheese with the enzyme your body makes called lactase. People who cannot produce lactase are known as being lactose intolerant, and these people cannot absorb the nutrients that milk provide.

rome
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

Momcat, at my standard cafe, the lush antonini at lungotevere dei mellini 1, you can get your cappuccino yourself for 1 euro at the bar and take it to a table and sit down and enjoy it - till 9am. After that it is 2,30 if sitting, but with service.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

"(drinking milk and orange juice in the same meal may even have harmful effects)."

Thanks for the laugh. That must come from the same book that says putting ice in your drink will make you catch a cold (my italian neighbors told me people still believe that one).

Regarding breakfast - I have to have protein in the morning with breakfast. Love my coffee, but where is the protein in coffee + a pastry? Where's the nutrition?

To each their own. :-)

Edited: 08 April 2011, 21:06
Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

anmjm1 - Someone posted about 2 weeks ago that their favorite meal they had in their trip to Italy was on Borgo Pio in a restaurant that offered menus printed in English.

To each their own. :-)

While I have not yet been to Rome, in my travels all over the world I have found that eating in a restaurant that has english translations on the menu, or that's located in a touristy area doesn't always equate to getting a bad meal. You may pay higher prices, not get the best service, but I've had some memorable meals in restaurants around the world that were located in touristy areas - and some had english translations on the menu. Maybe I'll find Rome to be the opposite.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
rome
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

Re: where is the protein: italians have a different way of taking the nutrition over the day. They will start out with coffee and a sweet (wake up and quick energy), lunch is pasta and some vegetable (carbs to take you thru the rest of the day) and dinner is a protein, like omelette or meat or fish or... Which doesn't seem unreasonable at all according to modern nutritional aspects.

And i guess an overall look at the build of the italian population and and that of the usa will tell anyone that the italians must be doing something right....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,554 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of "Italian breakfast"

I agree Wine_gal - and not just because I love my morning cappuccino and cornetto con crema (sigh) - I did find, though, that I could really only have one sit down meal a day; either lunch or dinner - even if one was just a pizza. I just can't eat that much and I'm not talking about appetizer, first, second course, etc. I could do one meal that had an appetizer then one other course (either pasta or fish) and then maybe a dessert and then I was pretty much done for the day.

I will find your little cafe as that is a tempting price given my need for more than one cappuccino in the a.m. That location would just be a nice brisk walk from where I stay. I can taste it now....There used to be a place about 10 years ago in Trastevere that I could do the same, order, pay counter price and then sit.

Edited: 08 April 2011, 22:05
Mentioned in this post
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,137 Reviews
Rome, Italy