We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area around Termini Station

St Louis, Missouri
3 posts
Save Topic
Area around Termini Station

I will be in Rome this summer with my family. I have 2 teeneger and would like for them to e able to stroll around on their own at times. How far away from the station do I need to stay and not worry about their safety? Any suggestions on lodging? I am considering Hotel Sonya, 58 Via Cavour, and Boncompagni Suite. Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,051 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,844 reviews
from US$125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,644 reviews
from US$58.00*
Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area around Termini Station

We were in Rome this summer with two teenagers, and we stayed in a very central area, right next to Piazza Navona. Even with that, I didn't let them stroll too far at all, and even during the day. Only as far as about one block directly to the hotel (and we watched them...)

It's up to you and how confident you are in your kids, and it may depend on what age teenagers they are. Mine were 13 and 14 and one was a girl. I wouldn't recommend letting two 13-15 year olds (especially girls) go too far at all. Not that it's unsafe, but anything could happen from getting lost to being "admired" by the sometimes overly enthusiastic Italian men.

That being said -- if you have boys and/or if they're older teenagers, both locations you mention shouldn't be a problem during the day. I'm a bit paranoid even though nothing bad has ever happened to us in Rome, so you may be more relaxed than my wife and I.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area around Termini Station

The area around Termini is safe at daytime...it's so busy and so many people are strolling around, well also some freaks but I've never had any trouble there.

The locations of both accomondations you are interested in are very good and of course safe.

Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area around Termini Station

I stayed at Hotel Sonya this past October and loved it. The area is great. It had more of a neighborhood feel to it. We never felt unsafe even when returning late at night. Rest assured, it's a safe area. If you have any questions with regards to the hotel or area please feel free to ask away!

Buon viaggio!

<3 Liz

USA
Level Contributor
333 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area around Termini Station

stlmac, the area around Termini Station has been discussed a lot in this forum. Search the archives and you'll find lots of information. I stayed two blocks away and didn't feel unsafe. I was travelling alone, however. With my family in-tow, I probably would not choose to stay in that area. Too "lively".

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
759 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Area around Termini Station

My two teenage (15 and 17) daughters and I stayed in an apartment near Termini this summer. There were a number of of questionable type men hanging around the street corner between our apartment and the station and one early evening (not quite dark), a young man lunged at my oldest daughter and scared her to death - then as we walked past, he pinched my butt. After that, my 15-year-old refused to go outside after dark. Therefore, we missed out on seeing the city at night. As a result, we really didn't enjoy Rome as well as we did Venice, Paris and Nice. I have decided we need to return to Rome someday and do it right - meaning we stay near Piazza Navonna or Campo di Fiori, which I understand is a better area. I felt fine letting my girls walk around the Rue Cler area in Paris alone, but did not feel at way in Rome - at least not in the Termini area.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area around Termini Station

am just back from rome and stayed in 69 manin street (excellent guest house ).area has a lot of immigrant males standing outside internet cafes and down and outs but they will not bother you.the location is great for travel access via metro,tram,buses and tourist buses(not to be sneezed at after a long day on your feet ),also you can get home easily even if you get lost which is easy to do in this city,they kept putting up buildings in between the parts tourists want to go to and fro.i dont think that female teenagers would easily entertain themselves in this area however.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area around Termini Station

We took our 4 kids (ages 18-21) TO Rome and stayed in between the Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori, which was great. I would not recommend staying near Termini. You may wish to consider an apartment rather than a hotel. Go to slowtrav.com and do some research. The apartments tend to be cheaper than hotels in Rome and you have alot more space.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area around Termini Station

A few years ago we stayed in the Station area,it was a bit seedy but did not feel intimidated, but quite near there in the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele 11, it was awful hundreds of Cats of all shapes ans sizes everywhere that was not nice most looked half starved

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area around Termini Station

Did not stay near Termini but the company we used, Comfortitalia, may have something therte. They have several apartments. The one we stayed in at Piazza Farnese had three bedrooms and would be perfect for six (three queen beds in three BR). Great location! Kids can wander Campo di Fiori and surrounding area.

One recommendation no matter where you rent an apartment. Take ear plugs! Experiencing Rome in an apartment is great but along with that comes Roman city noise. You never know when the party will be just outside your window, so be prepared.

If you rent from Comfortitalia, tell Helen and Prudence that the group who stayed at Farnese the last week of January sent you.

Jim

Atlanta, GA

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Area around Termini Station

Hello stlmac, I personally did not feel comfortable letting my daughters walk around Rome on their own (ages 16-18); needless to say they weren't happy with me, but it just didn't make me feel comfortable. It depends on your girls (or boys) and their level of street awareness: are they naive or aware. My girls are naive. Not that I think anything bad could really happen, but the first day we were there an older man (age 60?) put his fingers through my younger daughters hair and said how lovely she looked (this was while walking through the Campo Dei Fiori). It scared both her and I. We were staying in that area, and when we took the train to Florence we went to Termini, and I did NOT like the area. Too many men wandering around. Like I said, depending on your childrens level of awareness and street smarts make your decision. In Paris, Berlin, and London, I was fine letting them go, but not in Rome.