We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wi-Fi in Rome

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wi-Fi in Rome

Is there Wi-Fi service in Rome, like they have in Venice? If not, could someone please comment on options to access the web while traveling in Rome? I don't mind paying, hope it is not too much.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

Keep us informed, please, Italophile!

There was an earlier city wifi initiative several years ago, which I signed up for but could never get to work. As I said, I've just given up on wifi in Rome, and use 3G. If your phone is a smart phone, you could get a data plan for 2 euros a week.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

Yes, well I could do this with the smartphone I brought with me from home. BUT Unfortunately, I did not bring the unlock code that Verizon gave me. So I am stuck with my old Italian cell and wifi on my smartphone.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

Oh, too bad.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

Got it to work! At Caffè della Pace, enjoying an Aperol spritz.

Mentioned in this post
Caffe Della Pace
Caffe Della Pace
273 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

Great! When you're back home, please update us on how it went all in all, whether you found hotspots easily, whether the speed was reasonable, how difficult it is to sign up for. This is one of the most frequently asked questions on the Rome forum.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

Two Euros a week for data, you say? How do I go about this, bvlenci - if you please? :) I will be in Rome November 7th - 17th and that would be so helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

The costs below are for TIM, which is my provider. Other providers have similar plans. You can get SIM cards in any phone store, and in many small appliance or electronics shops. TIM, Vodafone, Wind and 3 are the main providers.

If your phone is an unlocked tri- or quad-band phone, you just buy an Italian SIM card to swap out with your US SIM card. The Sim card costs 10 euros, which includes 5 euros of credit that you can apply toward your first week of data service. I would add another 5 euros if you also plan to use the phone to make calls. The limit is 250 mb per week, which should be plenty for a phone. Data service costs somewhat more on tablets, but it's still quite reasonable.

The TIM Card International New Limited is a good option if you think you'll make an occasional call outside Italy. The cost of a call to the US, most of western Europe, and Australia is 20 cents a minute; for many other countries it's even less (as little as 2 cents a minute for China and India). Calls within Italy are 8 cents a minute. There's a connection charge of 16 cents a minute.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 15:29
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

I have to say that the free Provincia WiFi is, IMHO, not a really good substitute for an Italian SIM with a data package. It only works within a block or less of the hotspot. I WAS in a very interesting spot (at the intersection of via della Portico di Ottavia and via di Tempio) and was able to upload some photos easily, and check my e-mail. But less than a block away, no signal. Also, there's a hotspot very near Caffè della Pace (Piazza Navona area).

So, if like me, you get an unlock code for your smartphone and then forget to bring the number with you and haven't yet unlocked it, then the free WiFi is a good choice. Otherwise, not. ;-) You want to be on vacation, looking at the interesting things around you, not stopping to see if you are getting a signal on your phone.

Mentioned in this post
Caffe Della Pace
Caffe Della Pace
273 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,385 Reviews
Rome, Italy
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

Just for the record...we recently returned from Italy where we stayed in Venice, Florence, and Rome. I took my little dinky $200 Netbook computer (hardly a computer, but...) so we could communicate by email with friends, family, office, etc,. and surf the net. All three of our hotel's WiFi worked PERFECTLY. Didn't need a sim card, modem, TIM, contract plan, phone, etc., etc. Yes, we did need a password...and the hotel gave it to us...it did not cost any extra...and as I said, it worked PERFECTLY for what we wanted to do. I guess I just don't get it, who needs to be sitting at a restaurant or bar in Venice, Florence, or Rome and be on line?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Wi-Fi in Rome

My (locked) phone had an "app" for the Rome bus system, with wait times. Sometimes one changes one's mind and wants to look up opening times for churches or other sites of interest. Also interactive maps with routing. And so on. Things to make life a bit easier.

I'm so old that my first trip to Rome my hotel didn't even have a phone (used the Poste to place calls). But having internet access on the go is a great aid for the independent traveler.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy