We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your suggestions!!!

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Need your suggestions!!!

I need to buy a good, safe, everyday walking/travel bag. I need to make sure it's not too big to take into museums, and will be using it as my purse. I don't necessarily have a preference between a crossbody bag or small backpack, but can't tell which brand has the best bags (Safepac, Travelon, etc). Suggestions? Also, what size should I buy, so that I won't have to check it at museums?

Also, my husband will be carrying a small camera bag with very nice camera equipment - are there any museums that will make us check our bags?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

Crossbody is safer than backpack. Most museums won't make you check a purse of reasonable size; the Galleria Borghese in Rome will make you check everything.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

My wife has used the Pacsafe 200 for travel on several trips and loves it. In some places you wll have to check ANY bag you take, and your camera too. The Borghese has this on its website, "It is compulsory to deposit every kind of bag, purse, camera, video camera, umbrella. "

The Vatican may make you check your bag, it depends on the size. I've had several museums make me check a small colllapsible, umbrella that was only 7" long.

Pickpockets love the backpack purses. You'd be surprised how easy it is for them to get into them when you're distracted or being jostled on a bus, train, or any crowd.

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

This is the bag I have used for the last 4 years on my travels. I absolutely love it! I have it in 3 different colors and they are machine washable.

http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp?collection='cmb' &product='MES160'

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

I use the pacsafe slingsafe 200. It's a wonderful bag that can be worn across the body. Much safer than a back pack.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

That Baggallini bag looks a little dorky to me, and also seems to scream, "I have all my valuable stuff here!" The Slingsafe 200 looks more like a normal purse, but if you look at it on the shoulder of the man in the picture, it looks awfully big.

www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php…

If I carry something that big all day, filled with guidebooks, water bottles, camera, etc., I'm finished by mid afternoon. The 100 looks more my size. However, both have narrow straps. I prefer wide straps that distribute the weight better on my shoulders.

I just use an ordinary purse, preferably a shoulder bag that I can carry cross body, and with a good zipper or other reliable closure. I also usually carry a small backpack, for a sweater, guide book, water bottle, etc., but not anything valuable.

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

Well I guess I'll look "dorky" when I return to Italy in a few weeks, cause the Baggallini bag is going back with me.

I use it when out touring during the day, and at night, when we go out to dinner, I have a very nice Italian leather bag that I bought in Sorrento a few years ago, to use.

This is what works well for me. Maybe not for some others.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

I use a Tumi T-tech cross over bag and i love it. I get lots of positive comments from like minded dorks. :)

www.tumi.com/family/index.jsp…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

Well, nothing against dorks, I'm a bit dorky myself, I suppose.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

LOL - bvlenci!

Here is a link to a Pacsafe 200 including 30 reviews of the bag.

rei.com/product/735777/pacsafe-citysafe-200-…

Marysville
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need your suggestions!!!

OK! Swords down:) I think the best thing is to really shop this out. It can make or break a trip. Seriously!

Order several kind, and have them delivered. Then test them out with your daily life! Then send back the ones that did not make you feel safe and comfortable.

That's the way I found my awesome travel bag. I believe in my bag, and that makes one less worry.

Find the best one for "you":)