We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarquinia/Civitavecchia Day Trip

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tarquinia/Civitavecchia Day Trip

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has done this route as a One day trip and if it's doable without been too much.

Rome to Tarquinia (arrive maybe 11 am) see the neocropolis museum stay at least 2-3 hrs in tarquinia would that be plenty of time? Maybe also have lunch there.

After Lunch catch bus/train from tarquinia to civitavecchia (here would like to spend a few hours at the beach) . I'm assuming there is a reasonable good public beach ? Is the beach walking distance from train or bus station ?

Head back to Rome late evening from civitavecchia.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions that would make this trip easy/smooth.

Thank you,

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP Early...
59 Reviews
from US$373.70*
US$533.80
Best Seller
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
24,130 Reviews
from US$73.70*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
12,128 Reviews
from US$58.30*
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,423 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarquinia/Civitavecchia Day Trip

I have not done Tarquinia as a day trip from Rome but I have been hoping to do so. instructions on how to get there from Rome

To Tarquina

Take metro to Flaminio Metro stop

walk to Piazzelle Flaminio

Ferrovia-nord train to Cotral bus station at Saxa Rubra

the Saxa Rubra bus station arriving at Largo Barriera San Giusto in Tarquinia

Ferrovie Nord stops

translate.google.com/translate…

Tarquinia map with more links

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

United States
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarquinia/Civitavecchia Day Trip

I spent an hour at the necropolis and then another hour at the museum and wished that I could have had more time but it gave me a good taste. More time will be scheduled on an upcoming visit. The necropolis is the real draw. The museum seemed small but maybe I didn't see the whole thing as my guide took me right into the main rooms and we were rushed for time.

TAB

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarquinia/Civitavecchia Day Trip

Thanks to both.

I think we are going to take the train to Tarquinia. Tab since you visited, how did you do it, train/bus to tarquinia? Would like to know if the bus is outside the train station easy to find and where do we buy ticket?

Appreciate any info

Thank you,

J

4. Re: Tarquinia/Civitavecchia Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 02:21