We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd visit to Rome

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
126 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
2nd visit to Rome

I'm visiting Italy with my husband for the 2nd time, this time visiting Sorrento, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Sicily. We are returning to Rome for just 2 nights before heading home to Boston. We toured most of the "Main" sights last time and were hoping to take a cooking class in Trastevere on this trip. Unfortunately, we will only have 1 full day and it's Sunday, the only day of the week that the class isn't taught. I am looking for a couple of places to visit that we didn't see last time, what exactly is in the Castel San Angelo? I know it's a tomb, but don't know much else about it. We will of course revisit some of our favorites but was wondering if anyone had a favorite "off the beaten path" sight they'd like to share.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,334 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

Castel Sant Angelo has been many things in its history. A mausoleum for the likes of Hadrian and Caracalla, a church, a fortress, a home, and a prison, have all been roles it has played in history.

One of the Popes built a fortified passageway from the Vatican to Castel Sant'Angelo, and as a fortress, the Castel was used to defend the Vatican.

The view from the top is pretty good and you can look down on Ponte Sant' Angelo, the bridge below that is lined with larger than life statues of angels. (at least larger than humans as I'm not sure how big angels may be)

You might enjoy going to the Cappuccin Crypt near Piazza Barberini. A bit macabre, it houses the bones of more than 4000 monks arranged in all sorts of ways from chandeliers to large displays of stacked and arranged bones. No entry fee, just a donation. It's under the Church of the Immaculate Conception on Via Veneto. www3.sympatico.ca/tapholov/pages/bones.html

Ville d'Est and Tivoli Gardens are very interesting about 30 minutes to the east of Rome. It has dozens of fountains in the gardens and is a pleasure to stroll through. http://www.villadestetivoli.info/storiae.htm

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
126 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

jerryott, Thank you very much, great link for the catacombs they look quite interesting. Only 3 more weeks for us....getting so excited!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

Not to far from Castel San'Angelo is the Altar of Peace www.arapacis.it, the altar was commissioned by the Senate for Augustus in 13 BC and completed in 9 BC.. The pieces of the reliefs were discovered and then slabs were found and the altar was reconstructed. It was a little eery walking around and thru it.

About 30 mins from Rome is Ostia-Antica (www.ostia-antica.org), Romes original port. The mosaics, shops & buildings are very interesting.

Satellitesue1, did you read thornmists trip report on Sicily?

New York City
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

Just my opinion but I went to Castle Sant'Angelo when I was in Rome two weeks ago. It was a beautiful day so the view was very nice but if I had it to do over, I would definitely skip it. Long, climbing ramp, one-way only stairs, not very much to see. IMHO, not very interesting at all.

On the other hand, I also visited SS. Giovanni e Paolo just south of the Colosseum which was very interesting and worth it. The museum underneath the church is quite remarkable.

http://www.caseromane.it/en/history.html

…wikia.com/wiki/Santi_Giovanni_e_Paolo

If you are interested in mosaics and haven't already visited Santa Prassede and Santa Maria Maggiore, these two basilicas are within one block of each other and are a master class in old (4th-6th century) mosaics:

sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-santa-pra…

sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-santa-mar…

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
126 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Exactly what I was looking for! I wasn't sure if the Castel Sant'Angelo would be worth a visit with so little time in Rome and I had completely forgotten about the Santa Maria Maggiore. Ocpony I haven't read thornmist's trip report but I will right after I make dinner, thank you for the suggestions! Which church has Bernini's sculpture of an angel in rapture?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

Well, I love Castel Sant'Angelo and make a point of going each time I go to Rome; I love the work on the ceilings and the various exhibits throughout the extraordinary building that is brimming with history.

And, there is an elevator so if necessary, one can by-pass the incline to enter. I found it when I was there after having had an accident and was having difficulty in walking too long or climbing steps. You can ask about it.

Just crossing the bridge with the 10 marble statues of angels - just beautiful - may be worth your time if you decide to not go in.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

It's not the angel that's in rapture; it's Saint Teresa:

http://www.arte.it/opera.php?id=171&q=bernini

It's in the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
126 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

ocpony, is it Les' trip report of Sicily you're talking about? MomCat we will at least walk across the bridge lined with angels. Zerlina, this is what happens when I post something on an empty stomach (I was an art major in college) I MUST see Saint Teresa in Santa Maria della Vittoria....so much to see so little time. What was it I first said, already saw the "major" sights in Rome?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
126 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

Just read thornmist's trip report of Sicily.

New York City
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd visit to Rome

If you're a "walker" (which hopefully you are when it comes to visiting Rome), it is actually a pretty easy walk from S.M. della Vittoria to S.M. Maggiore. And, considering you are a Bernini fan, Sant'Andrea al Quirinale is very close to S.M. d'Vittoria and that is one block from Boromini's San Carlino. IMHO, a very fruitful morning or afternoon visiting the Quirinale churches (Santa Susanna is also right there).

sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-sant-andr…

greatbuildings.com/buildings/S_Carlo_Alle_Qu…

http://www.santasusanna.org/