We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colloseum Underground Question

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
109 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Colloseum Underground Question

So we are booked on the 4:20 Underground Tour. I understand that once the tour is over, you have time to check out the rest of the Colloseum. Should we still have plenty of time before it closes?

If not, could we get into the main portion before the tour starts and then do the underground tour (if it makes any difference we plan to use Roma Pass for general entry to the Colloseum).

Thanks

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

You can go before or stay after the tour. Just be at the meeting place a few minutes before the tour starts.

Donna

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

In the summer mths the Colosseum closes at 7pm but your tkt ( which incls the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill) are valid for 2 days.

Dallas
Level Contributor
109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

Hi

How did you get your underground tickets? I am going to Rome in September and would love the chance to see underground of the Colloseum

thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

Kinzi,

You have to call them at +39 06 39967700. As suggested by some other members on here I called, pressed 3, pressed 0, then when an operator answered I asked "Parle Inglese?" She spoke very good english and was very helpful, providing me with a 9:40 time, some time around 1 and the 4:20 time to choose from. You may have to wait awhile to schedule since I don't think they have times open that far out, but this information was very useful to me.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

Beaverhousen, are all colosseum tickets valid for 2 days or is that a special ticket? I'd like to photograph the colosseum and forum at different times of the day, with different light. Popping in and out over a day or two would be brilliant!

Once you have your ticketcam you skip the queue for each entry?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

You can use the ticket over two days, but for *one* entry each to Forum, Colosseum and Palatine. Forum and Palatine are interconnected, so you could theoretically go to those two twice, if you use different entrances.

ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

for the tickets that you book by calling italy direct do you know if you get a guide that speaks english (or do you have to use headsets) and how large the tour groups are? i am comparing this to outside tour companies which say you will get a small group with english speaking guide--although i have heard that for the underground part everyone receives a tour from a colloseum guide anyway

thanks

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

Each tour is conducted in a specific language - if you say you want an English-language tour, that's what the Pierreci operator will offer you. The guide who took us round spoke excellent (if slightly accented) English and was exceedingly knowledgeable. The numbers on the official tour are restricted to about 15, maybe at most 20.

It's my understanding, from reading about the options here and elsewhere before we travelled to Rome, that almost all of the tours are conducted by official Colosseum guides, with company guides handing their parties over when they reach the hypogeum entrance. One company's web-site says that it (and it alone, as of the time I looked at the site) is authorised to conduct parties into the restricted areas, and does so with very small groups (about five, IIRC). Unless you are already very knowledgeable about Roman life and amphitheatres, I would guess that you are unlikely to learn more from these guides than from the Colosseum's own.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colloseum Underground Question

A tip ...

If you are calling Pierreci (or anywhere else!) from outside Italy, one of the PC-based "Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol" services such as Skype would be a useful way to avoid the eye-watering international connection charges of the major telecomms companies. All you need is a PC with a microphone.

You can call companies with a Skype presence free of charge, and numbers just about anywhere at local rates. The small down-side is their minimum top-up charge of (I think) $10. I bought £10 worth of credit a couple of years ago and still have most of that left, even though I routinely use it to call hotels before I travel, and home when I'm on the road.