We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice for Italy Tour

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
Need Advice for Italy Tour

I'm a single female in my late 40's and this is my first trip to Italy. I've read some horror stories about tours but I don't want to do it on my on. I've researched this to death but there are so many options I'm having a hard time making a decision. I would prefer a small group but wouldn't totally rule out a larger one, 10 - 14 days, not low budget but not Tauck (4-star centrally located hotels) and some leisure time/dinners on my own. I love to eat and I would like to pick some restaurants. :-)

I've looked at Monograms but I think it's too much leisure. I've read a lot of criticism about the hotels with Globus. I ruled out Rick Steves because the dates don't work for me. Adventures Abroad Premier is about the same cost as Tauck ($7,000) and that's more than I had in mind. I was thinking more like $4,000 or $5,000 depending on how many days. I've heard the Aristocrat Italy tour from Perillo Tours is good. I just found Queenslander and it looks good as well.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice for Italy Tour

Check out 'Nada's Italy' (NadasItaly.com) I believe. Her tours are limited to 10-12 people. The costs are well within your budget, and I can vouch for the quality and style of her various tours...well at least the Tuscany tour. My wife and I had a wonderful time, were spoiled, and loved traveling around in her vans. And when your tour is over spend a few days in Rome, Florence, or Venice on your own...it's not that difficult or dangerous, and you'll have a great time.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice for Italy Tour

You didn't specify a time of year you wanted to travel or what cities/regions you wanted to see, but you may wish to check out www.washington.edu/alumn/tours/ which is the website for the University of Washington Alumni Association travel department. You do not need to be an alumnus of UDub to sign up for their tours and they are really well done small tours. They have a tour of the Chianti area of Tuscany and the Italian Riviera from Oct 4 thru 13 that runs about $3000 for the tour (that does not include airfare.) They have other tours of Italy at other times.Since my wife and I prefer to plan our own travel, we usually do not take tours, so I cannot speak to other tour companies or organizers.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice for Italy Tour

Thanks Mike. This is a last minute thing and I want to travel late May/early June. I'd like to see Rome/Florence/Venice. South ending in Sicily.

4. Re: Need Advice for Italy Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 22:18