We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money belt?

Iowa
Level Contributor
239 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
money belt?

What would people recommend for carrying money/ATM cards in Rome: moneybelt or small purse carried tightly underarm, or moneyholder thing on a neck strap??? Should passports be locked in roomsafe or carried? This will be my first trip to Rome and we are staying at the International.Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,454 Reviews
from US$82.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$411.00*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,831 Reviews
from US$60.50*
US$67.20
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,922 Reviews
from US$123.30*
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money belt?

I would like opinions on this as well. My first trip during Easter. What about using a wristlet wallet, that way it is always pretty much in hand?

California
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money belt?

Best method for safe carrying of monies and passport I feel is in a pouch around neck and concealed under shirt or jacket. I also keep in zippered secure shirt pocket as seen on many "travel" shirts. Money belt in my opinion too extreme. Anything exposed will only tempt pickpockets who are very very clever. Original passport should be kept with you and be sure to bring photo copies of passport in case you lose,as will suffice with authorities until you could replace, but without copies will be nightmare.

Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money belt?

I used a moneybelt the whole time I was in Italy and it worked like a charm. It did get a bit bothersome at times, but I would rather do that than risk having a purse taken. Never did I feel unsafe carrying money around in it. I also bought a "bra wallet" from travelanimal.com and I put my day money in it and carried extra in the money belt along with my ATM/debit and a credit card. I left my passport in the room safe and carried a copy in my money belt.

I would go with the money belt instead of the small purse which can easily be stolen or lost.

Buon viaggio!

<3 L:iz

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money belt?

We use the flat-fit-snugly-against-your-skin moneybelts around our waists (they don't stick out, well, if you wear shirts over your pants) and then weave them through a couple of beltloops before clasping them togther. For extra security we sometimes also use safety pins to attach to non-beltlooped pants on the inside.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: money belt?

This was my biggest concern when I made my first trip to Europe. I used a moneybelt and wore it next to my body an inch or two below the waistband of my pants; I also wear my shirt tucked into my pants and over the belt. I then had cash in my pants pocket. I don't carry a purse, only my camera bag which I wear across my chest. Sometimes I carried my passport in the moneybelt, other times I carried only a photocopy. If I'm remembering correctly, the Uffizi in Florence required a passport to rent the audio guide - so a couple of times I needed it with me. As a rule, I didn't need to access the moneybelt while I was out and about.

I had no worries.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money belt?

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome last year. We left our passport in the hotel safe most days and we never really had the use for it. I did not wear a money belt or anything...most of the time I had the wallet deep in my backpack. We did not experience anything during our trip trip but I have read on this forum that a number of people have gotten different items stolen. Have a great trip and hopefully you won't run into any problems :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money belt?

I agree with Gardkarlsen. I carry a small wallet and camera inside an inside zipped pocket of my coat and leave everything else in the hotel safe. I only carry one credit card on me and enough money for one day.

As a back up, my partner carries one credit card in a secure place and never gets it out.

Iowa
Level Contributor
239 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money belt?

I appreciate all the information re carrying money/etc.! I do have arthritis in my hands and am wondering if using a moneybelt will be difficult....but I guess having some money in a pocket and just using the belt for the rest of the money and ATM cards would work....storage, basically.

Thanks again,

M

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money belt?

m313--I think the main idea of the money belt is to keep the majority of your money safe. I usually try to keep my money for the day more accessible so I don't have to dig money out of my pants in public!

In Rome, I also kept most of my money in my hotel safe.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money belt?

Where can you find a good moneybelt that you can fit inside your clothes?

Thanks!