We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCO Terminal 3 - departure

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
FCO Terminal 3 - departure

Our latest gate time shown on the BA site for return to the UK )is 20 minutes before. I haven't been through this terminal for five years and remember a very long security line. Any best estimates of how long before we need to be there.? This would be for an early afternoon, weekday departure next month.

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,437 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,815 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.80*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,656 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: FCO Terminal 3 - departure

20 minutes before what? The time of your flight? I'm not sure what you mean but airlines recommend being at the airport 2 to 3 hours before an international flight. You can check with your airline to ask their recommendation.

Lines for security vary - I have been in both very long and very brief lines - there's no way to predict.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FCO Terminal 3 - departure

20 minutes before departure.

Thank you for your kind response - anyone with specific recent Terminal 3 knowledge?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: FCO Terminal 3 - departure

20 minutes before departure at the *gate* means *after* security.

Donna's answer is as accurate as it can be: the duration of security is variable.

No one can tell you how long it will be on the date and at the time of *your* flight.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FCO Terminal 3 - departure

I assumed people would understand what 20 minutes at the gate meant - of course it is after security, and that is what I was after!!!

Of course it depends on the day and but I was looking for some actual experience of the general situation at Terminal 3. Most advice about leaving from FCO on TA is, understandably, concerned with a Terminal 5 (US flights). Getting through security and along the walkways from different LHR (London) terminals, for example, varies in reality - the awfulness of Terminal 3 or the much better experience at Terminal 5 - and even that depends on if it is the main terminal or the satellite gates.

That is why I speciified Terminal 3 at FCO, for any particular knowledge of hiccups or (I can be hopeful) smooth sailing.. Thought it was such a straightforward question........

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,195 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FCO Terminal 3 - departure

Valise, It was a straight forward question but the answer is not so straight forward. That's what Momcat and Zerlina are saying. It's impossible to tell you how long it could take or what problems you might run into. You might breeze through in less than 10 minutes or you may get behind the old couple who have no clue what's going on and be stuck there for 45 minutes. I would suggest to give yourself at least 2 hours to check in, get through security and to your gate. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have smooth sailing ;-)

Donna

6. Re: FCO Terminal 3 - departure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 18:15