We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome, Florence and Venice

berkshire
1 post
Save Topic
Rome, Florence and Venice

Hi, Myself and my partner would like to travel to Rome then Florence and end up in Venice over a 10 to 14 night stay. Can anyone help and tell me the what the best way to travel between these cities is? We've never independently planned our own holiday before so am a bit nervy as to the best way to go about it! Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,627 reviews
from US$74.16*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,009 reviews
from US$60.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$401.17*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,434 reviews
from US$146.61*
US$162.90
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
214 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

I would fly into one city and fly out from another.

Maybe if possible go into venice, take the eurostar 2.5 hours

to florence and then take the train again 1.5 hours to rome.

Fly out of rome on departure.

Try air gorilla and allmaxtravel on the internet.

Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

Hello macdooglefunk

We,too, are travelling to Rome(staying 3 nights) (our flight and accomodation in Rome is arranged).

We are then taking the train from Roma to Firenze.......The ES* ticket was 29E each for a 2nd class ticket. We leave Rome at 1030 and arrive Firenze 1206.

We are staying at the Porcellino Tourist House for 3 nights (108E for double)

We leave Firenze at 1039 and arrive Venezia 1328 (1st class ticket 39.25 E each)

Staying at Locanda Ca Formosa for 3 nights (120E for double)

We booked our train tickets on line (trenitalia). Use the drop down to get the promotion price for you ticket. (Ticketless ticket)

We booked our rooms online.

We booked the Accademia (David) by phone 011-39-055-294883 (2 minute phone call) (6.50E + 2.50E booking fee).

We booked the Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries on line (www.museiciviciveneziani.it/frame.asp…) Tickets are 15E each..

This is the first time that we've planned an independent trip. We have used the valuable information on the travel forums.

Good luck and have fun with your trip planning.

N

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

I second that! Train travel in Italy is easy and efficient. By the way, the 'Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries Tour' is brilliant, not many people seem to have heard of it.

Lowell, Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

Can you elaborate on this Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries Tour. What is it and where to you find out info on booking???

New Jersey
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

Perffecttune...I have some questions about the train system in Italy, can you please email me at saltchucker123@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Bob

Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

Check out this website for info on Dodge's Palace

jssgallery.org/Essay/…Palazzo_Ducale_Main.htm

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

From the UK, you can take Easy Jet out of London Gatwick to Rome Ciampino and to Venice Marco Polo airport. Ryan Air flies into Treviso Airport at Venice which is a little farther away than Marco Polo and to Rome Ciampino as well. Decide if you want to fly into Rome and out of Venice or the other way around. The Europe discount airlines have strict baggage limits so make sure you read the FAQ(frequently asked questions) on their website.

In Venice you can take a private water taxi from the airport which will cost around 80 euros to your hotel or take the ATVO or ACTV bus to Piazzale Roma and then the vaporetto down the Grand Canal to your hotel.

In Rome, the taxi cab drivers at Ciampiano are crooks, from what I've read. You're better off arranging a driver to pick you up at the airport and take you to your hotel or take you to the airport from your hotel, whichever way you decide to fly into and out of Italy. Stefano from Rome Cabs gets good reviews on this website. Do a search for his name.

The best way to travel between Rome-Venice-Italy is on the Eurostar train. There is a 29/39euro promotion for 1st or 2nd class offered by Trenitalia for the eurostar. Try to get the promotion price if you can get it. There are restrictions so make sure you read them, in case you change your dates, times, etc...If you click on the down arrow to the right of "intera" when booking at the Trenitalia website the promotions will be listed and highlight 29 or 39 euro offer for the eurostar.

Europe discount airline finder-

www.whichbudget.com

www.easyjet.com

www.ryanair.com

Trenitalia English version. Click on the promotions tab for the 29/39 euro specials-

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

Hi, Can you please tell what the secret tour of the Dodges Palace is about? Thanks

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

I saw this tour on a uk TV channel, BBC1's 'You call the shots', website;

bbc.co.uk/holiday/you_call_the_shots/venice_…

orlando, florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome, Florence and Venice

Thank you for the info. How can I book the secret tour in July? Thanks again