We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

I have booked with Pierreci the Underground Colosseum tour for my family including my 80 year old mom (who is very mobile but we need to pace ourselves). I need help with the 'day of' logistics please so that I don't walk my mom more than needed (plus she is best in the morning).

My plan is to arrive at the Colosseum early (before it opens at 9:00) - we have a reservation for the underground tour at 9:41 which cost 21.50 euros each. I hope my understanding is correct that this ticket will be for both the entrance fee and the tour (we won't have the Romapass). Can anyone confirm?

With my reservation number from Pierreci, my plan was to then go to the middle reservation line and once we have cleared security, walk through a portion of the Colosseum before our tour, Is my understanding correct that I can both pick up the tour ticket and gain access via the middle reservation line? If I understand correctly from reading TA, I could then use the entrance ticket for the Forum the next day so that the touring is spread out, which would be easier for my mom. Is this correct that the entrance ticket can be used the next day at the Forum?

Thanks for your help.

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

Yes to your ticket includes entry to Colosseo and the underground (and third ring) tour. Yes, you will be able to use it 2 days, with only one entry to each site -- Palatine/Forum/Colosseo.

I don't think your plan is bad, but with mobility issue, you may wish to skip the wandering around before your tour. If its crowded (usually) it will take some time to climb the awkward stairs, walk around a bit and return to your designated meeting place. On the tour -- if it is still the same route -- you will begin inside, the move outside to enter through gladiator gates to the center of the arena; then you'll go below, and after, up to the third ring. This is where the tour generally leaves you, so you can filter down and out, seeing everything you want as you exit.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

I should note that there is an elevator, so do mention to your guide if you wish to ride up a level. You will still have to walk up to the third level from the second, if memory serves.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

Thank you so much. You have helped me a great deal!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,483 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

I agree with Rome_with_kids. I would not wander around the site until after the tour. This will ensure your Mom has enough energy to do the tour. After the tour if she needs to sit down for a while there are always stone blocks and such she can sit on. Then continue around the colosseum at your leisure. Make sure you're at the starting place for the tour at least 10 minutes early.

Donna

Southlake, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

Do you need to have a tour, or can you tour everything on your own? Can you purchase the tour when you get there?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,483 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

The underground cannot be seen on your own and must be done on a tour. The rest of the colosseum can be toured on your own. If you wait until you get to Italy to book the underground tour you will run the risk of it being sold out. I would just book in advance if you wish to see it.

Donna

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

May I ask where you got a ticket for the underground tour for 21 euros? The websites I have visiting seem to cost a great deal more. Thanks very much!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,483 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

You can call the official ticket and tour seller at:

011 39 0639967700

If you already have entry tickets, such as the romapass, let them know or they will charge you an entry fee along with the tour fee.

Donna

9. Re: Logistics advice re Underground Colosseum tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 00:16