We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Information Center

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Tourist Information Center

Where is the official Tourist Information Center in Rome? Will be arriving by train from Venice at Roma Termini. Would like to pick up maps and other information immediately.

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Information Center

There is an information kiosk outside Termini in the area where the buses are parked but they are often out of maps. News agents inside the Termini sell very nice maps. I bought a laminated one with the bus routes marked for just a few euros.

Here is a list of other info points from the Rome Tourism site:

…turismoroma.it/benvenuti_a_roma/servizi_e_s…

Lots of good info and maps from links on the general site:

http://en.turismoroma.it/

TAB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Information Center

Most hotels and B&B's will have maps for their guests.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Information Center

I would suggest getting as much information as you possibly can prior to your arrival in Rome. I recently spent 2 weeks there with my family and had a wonderful time but that was largely due to the fact that we generally knew what we wanted to do and see prior to getting there. I had lessons in speaking Italian and practised diligently for more than 6 months prior to our holiday. I researched the things we wanted to do thoroughly on the internet including Trip Advisor tips and we were well prepared when we got there. Use google maps and have yourself a mudmap on hand when you get there. Research train use before getting there and have an idea of which connecting trains you need to use. You also need to make sure you are in the right queue to buy tickets at the Termini or you may end up wasting a lot of time. We went to the many of the popular tourist sites in Rome including a 5am visit to the Trevi Fountain and there was not a soul there except us. We also went on several day trips using the trains from Rome to surrounding areas and found the awe inspiring sights just beautiful. We just loved the sights but honestly I would not soon return because the truth is that it was terribly obvious that if we had not been prepared so well we would have had a terrible time getting any help at all. We were tourists in a city that must surely consider tourism one of it's highest earners and yet we found ourselves completely on our own. For all of our efforts, and polite and friendly efforts they were, we were given very little in return. I do my best to be prepared for any city or country we visit but I have never found that more valuable than in Rome.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Information Center

I could not agree more with BlackJack. It's far too late to get maps and information on arrival in Rome. You should have a fairly good idea of what you want to do in Rome and how to go about it *before* you get there. If you haven't already, buy a guidebook. Download and read the magazine by clicking on the right here:

http://www.unospitearoma.it/

Use the Search feature to find answers to questions here in the Rome forum; most questions have been answered dozens of times already.

You're staying in an apartment, I believe. There will be no front-desk staff to answer questions.

And I have to regretfully agree that tourist-office staff are not very helpful.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Information Center

TABarrett's link ( http://en.turismoroma.it/ ) is a FANTASTIC source.

Tourist info booths are good for getting some books or maps, but other than that they are nothing in particular and you might as well just come already prepared.

While most accommodations (that aren't private apartments) will likely provide some sort of map at the concierge/reception desk, they usually will cover the majority of the historical center but not necessarily everywhere you might go...you might consider getting a more complete map/book beforehand in case you are also not going to be staying in the historical center/colosseum/area immediately surrounding the vatican.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Information Center

Barnes and Noble carry maps of Rome. They even have one that shows the names of many shops/restaurants street by street.

Blackjack - I had to Google "Mudmap" as I have never heard that term. According to the internet, a mudmap is either a map drawn in the mud with stick or a downloadable GPS map from itunes? :) I assume you were talking about the GPS map, but does it work if you are not online? With no free wifi for those of us with iphones this could get expensive.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 13:59
Cleveland
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Information Center

We are very prepared with what we want to see, however, need map to make the most of our time. W

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Information Center

If you don't have a map or haven't looked at one, you can't plan or be very prepared. If you don't know where things are in Rome and book them without looking at a map, you risk losing a great deal of time crisscrossing a city that is very walkable if you group things by location.

At the least, look at this zoomable map of central Rome:

…turismoroma.it/benvenuti_a_roma/mappa_di_ro…

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Information Center

The Rome2Go app is one of the best travel apps I've used.

It has a map that works offline and shows the metro. And it has thousands of articles on all the sights and things to see and do in Rome ranging from streets, specific shops, locations, sights, fountains, etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Information Center

If you have time, write to the Rome tourist office and request maps and tourist information. I've just received my maps for Orvieto and Assisi. I found the tourist offices and sent my request by email.

Another benefit of early planning is the ability to prebook for sites with long queues, allowing you to skip the line.