We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the Rick Stevens walking tours podcasts.

My boyfriend downloaded the podcasts and I downloaded the Rick Stevens Europe

audio app for my iPhone.

We downloaded ones for Paris, Florence, and Rome.

Rome we downloaded 4 podcasts.. the Trastevere. The Pantheon, Colosseum, and the forum.

For Florence we did The Renaissance walking tour, and for Paris we did the Orsay Museum and historic

Paris walking tour. We also printed and downloaded the maps for all walking tours

For Rome the Pantheon, Colosseum and forum where great. They were informative and helped with the

history at everything. The Trastevere one was harder to follow since it was hard to

know what streets to turn and walk down.

The Florence walking tour was good. It was hard to listen to him when navigating through the busy streets but we did it.

Paris historic walking tour was great. Nice walk with great information. It was easier to follow since it involved

landmarks to navigate where to walk. The Orsay Museum tour/podcast was harder to

follow since the museums was under construction and they changed paintings and art

around. This is when my iphone app was better then the podcast download because it showed a picture of the painting when he discussed the painter/or painting.

Podcasts vs the iphone app with downloaded podcasts.

The app is much easier to use since there is pictures of what is being narrated.

This was very helpful when we where not sure what he was talking about and if we were in the right place.

You can also skip tracks like a CD unlike the regular podcast you can just fastfwd.

Overall I would recommend the iphone app. The information is great and it is FREE!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

Do you mean the colosseaum iphone app or the app "Rick Steves Audio Europe".

I thought the Rick Steves Audio Europe just organised his audio tours. Is this not the case?

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

The podcasts I have downloaded all have pictures of what Steve is talking about. Is this because I am using an iphone to view this stuff and you are talking about your boyfriend having an ipod only?

I am interested because I have already downloaded the podcasts and using the Europe app would mean downloading them again.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 23:35
Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

I mean the Rick Steve's iPhone app.

The app organized the audio tours/podcasts.

My boyfriend had a regular iPod that he downloaded them to.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 23:50
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

Thanks I am so sorry for the confusion I have no idea about these things but now that I have an iphone I am trying to learn.

I didn't want to download all the files again.

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

No problem. The way I typed everything my review was confusing... I am still getting over the jetlag. :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

Thanks for the review! I had read some sites in Rome were confusing without explanation nit never seem to get around to downloading the free RS. I will now go ahead.

texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

Didn't it cost a boatload on your data plan to use your iPhone overseas? I was planning on getting the 20mg international data plan for $24.99/mo., but 20 mgs isn't much.

Ft. Lauderdale
Level Contributor
114 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

No it didn't cost anything since the app can be used with no service. It is just saved information...

When i was overseas I just left it on airplane mode and used the wifi.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

There are also free podcasts available from itunes by R. Steves...they are pretty good; I like the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and Pompeii.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rick Steves Audio Tours.... my thoughts..

LauraRW

The app that the OP is talking about is just a sort of file system for Rick Steve's podcasts. You download the app then download all the free podcasts you want from his list and the app puts them in order.

The content is no different only the "neatness" on your iphone or ipod.