We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of Americans after recent world events?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of Americans after recent world events?

This may sound silly but we are traveling to Rome in 10 days and I was curious if we should be concerned about our safety as Americans in light of the recent events with bin Laden. I know Rome is not connected to this issue, but I also know that Americans aren't loved as much as we think we are! :) Please give me any guidance as far as safety is concerned! Thanks!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

Why would Americans be any less safe in Italy because of his death? I'm missing something here - can you explain?

I've been traveling to Italy pre-9/11 and post 9/11 and never felt anything hostile because I'm American. While, obviously, there are going to be some people everywhere in the world that will judge people based on that person's governmental policies, it is not something that is generally an issue.

I'm just pretty baffled by this question. First, how would anyone here know if there was going to be some sort of bad action against any tourists, not just Americans.

Edited: 04 May 2011, 19:34
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

I also do not understand the question. IF we all knew ahead of time when bad things were about to happen we'd be famous!

NOone can ever guarantee your safety anywhere in the world!

Look at what happened to those folks outside the supermarket in Tucson when that crazy man started shooting!!

Go on your vacation and have a good time!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

The State Department issued a World Wide Travel Alert to cover its a**.

Individual Americans are not under any threat, terrorist or otherwise. Terrorist attacks target large numbers of people, some of whom may be American. Public-transport systems and crowded areas are targets. But unless Bin Laden preplanned an attack before he died, it's unlikely that Al Qaeda is in any position to carry out an attack in the near future. Besides, Italy was not and is not a primary terrorist target.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

Not to make light of either situation, you were in a far more life threatening danger last Wednesday living in Alabama as compared to what you would be facing in Rome today. I say this as someone who had relatives severely affected by that storm.

Italy has always taken security VERY SERIOUSLY and you see (and a lot of times don't see) the measures taken to insure it. It's not unusual to see armed soldiers at the airports, train stations and other transportation hubs. They employ and monitor a vast network of security cameras in many tourist areas. You see policemen on almost every block or in patrol cars. Probably the biggest security concern is believing all of the urban myths about pickpockets in Rome. The best advice is what we have been hearing for years. Be aware of your surroundings, don't try to stand out as an American abroad and enjoy your trip.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

One more point to add. The MO of these terror organizations has been to strike when everyone has forgotten about them, relaxed or let their guard down. Right now, security has been raised to an extremely high level, making it even more unlikely that an attack would occur in the next few days or weeks.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

THANK YOU! Lucky for me I was about 350 miles south of all the bad weather last week, but know far too many people who lost everything in those storms. I have heard lots about the pick pockets in Rome, is that not a big concern? And I appreciate you relieving some of my fears, that helps a lot! :)

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

The point of the question is the travel alert issued by the federal govt. I didn't come here to ask this question to be patronized by all of you, but to simply ask if I needed to be any more aware than I typically am when traveling outside of the United States, or anywhere I am unfamiliar with for that matter. HuskerBadger, I appreciate your kind and respectful answer!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

Have a look at this short scene from a Bud Spencer film to see Italian American relations in the 70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvJLBHhuI-4

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

Katie Sorry but you make it sound that Americans are exceptional to the norm!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,319 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety of Americans after recent world events?

How would people on the street know you are american in the first place? And you speak english? Not limited to americans!