We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

I would be obliged id someone could tell me how long if you were there at 9am in morning it would take to view,Colliseun,Roman Forum And Palatine as time is limited.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

Very difficult to say and be accurate, it depends how interested you are. Roughly, I'd allow an hour, perhaps a bit more, for a look around the Colloseum. If you take photos, a bit longer! Walk around it outside too, to get an idea of the size.

The Forum and Palatine hill cover a much larger area, and there is quite a lot to see and to take in. Especially if you have a guide book that tells you the sites and what you are looking at. And you like taking photos..A minimum of a couple of hours for the forum and palatine hill, I'd say, perhaps a while longer, there is quite a bit of walking around involved too.

Auckland
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

Hi there

Im in the middle of planning my Rome trip and everywhere ive read says it takes between 3-5 hours depending on how in depth you go. I've decided to buy a map of the Roman Forum as it is only supposed to be a couple of Euro and supper detailed so you can see the meaning of exactly what your looking at also you will be able to see the fastest way through (its apparently West to East from what I've read)

Hope i helped

Kass :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

I spend half a day there of course like others have mentioned it will depend on your own pace.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

Take a sun hat and comfortable walking shoes, it gets very hot around the ruins, and there is a lot of walking around involved. A decent guide book is worth taking with you, especially for the forum-palatine areas, they are hardly signed or explained on the site.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,663 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

We had a private guide for the forum/palatine hill area and it took the whole morning without even going into the Coliseum. There is little signage so with no guide or book you will not have an idea of what you are seeing! This is one of the sites where a good guide will be helpful!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
295 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

How long you take is up to you. Not the answer you wanted I am sure but really very accurate. Do you want to check it off a list? You can see it in 20 minutes. Allow as much time as you would like, or can fit into your itineray. Read before you go. Listen to Rick Steves guide on Itunes and download it and bring it ( Free). The more you put in before you go the more you will get out of it. If you can, pack a little picnic with wine in your backpack- there are lovely spots along the way to relax and take a break.

Missouri
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

As everyone is telling you it takes as long as you want. When we went we spent the am at the Colliseum and then had a quick lunch and spent the afternoon (3-4 hours) at the Roman Forum,Palatine. We really enjoyed all of it.

Doing research prior really does help. We also down loaded a free audioguide and had guidebooks to help us. I felt that I would have been a little lost without all of this help.

Just remember to set your own pace and do not do this as another check mark on a list of things to do.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

A map and guide book aren't sufficient unless at least one of them has numerous good photos, because it's very hard to know what exactly you're looking at.

9. Re: how long it takes to visit Colliseum,Roman Forum,Palatine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 13:19