We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English Restaurants

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
English Restaurants

Are English restaurants the best place to get a good steak and chips in Rome or do Roman restaurants serve steak normally.Where is a good place to get a steak and chips.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English Restaurants

I've never had a good steak in Italy! I've never tried it in Rome. I had it last year in a small village in Abruzzo (it was a party and everyone had steak). I found it to be a very thin cut and cooked to very well done. I'd never get beef in Italy if I had a choice!

But I am from Cattle country in the US and am rather spoiled by the beef available here.

Safe travels!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
441 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English Restaurants

What on Earth is an English Restaurant? And isn't that an oxymoron?

rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: English Restaurants

HSS, you must eat a bistecca fiorentina next time you are in Italy (in Tuscany).

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English Restaurants

To Banks

Insalata Ricca do good steak and chips ,there's a chain of them in Rome, google it

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English Restaurants

Please do not go to Insalata Ricca... no offense jessybobs.... but it's a chain and very touristy.

May I suggest:

I Carnivori, via Tuscolana 384

Da Baffo, via Fulva

La Pampa (a little far from center) via Collatina

Bisteak (via di Pietralata 141) (pick and choose own cut and size)

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English Restaurants

I've been to Insalata Ricca about 5 times in different areas and noticed a lot of Italians eating there, most restaurants we passed were empty, but InsalataRicca was packed to the gills, must mean something

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English Restaurants

I totally agree with jessybobs - I have eaten a few times at Insalata Ricca in Trastevere (via Santini) and Piazza Risorgimento and only ever seen Italians eating there. The food is good and very reasonably priced. I wouldn't hesitate to go to any other branch.

UK
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English Restaurants

Can't speak about chips as I have never eaten them in Rome, but for the best beef steak in Rome, I suggest Dal Toscano on via Germanico, not far from the Vatican Museum. They serve an excellent "bistecca alla Fiorentina". You can see your cut of beef in the chilled cabinet at the front of the restaurant.

The other dishes on the menu are also excellent.

Buon appetito!

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English Restaurants

Jessybobs and Chris, I hate to insist - sure, Insalata Ricca is also frequented by Italians who wish to have a light lunch or dinner consisting of a salad. Romans do not go to Insalata Ricca for steak and chips.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: English Restaurants

Well..... lovingRome, the OP did ask where they could get steak and chips, its irrelevent whether Romans eat it or not, I was answering their question