We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

I am visiting the above three sites on the morning of the 10th May,in which order shoild i visit these and is it possible to complete in 3 hrs with a guide who does not go into every detail,and where could i a guide like this.Thanks very much confused visitor

Inishowen...
Level Contributor
212 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

If you have not pre-booked and dont have a ticket, go to Roman Forum/Palatine Hill first as there is no queues and you can buy a ticket there and then use this ticket for Colesseum also and bypass the queues there. I didnt take a guide but rented an autoguide for Forum and Palatine. There are plenty of guides outside these sites that will tell you how long they will take and you wont have to go looking for them, they will find you!!

Mentioned in this post
Roman Forum
Roman Forum
18,713 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,816 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,765 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

Different guides go into different amounts of detail. You'll have to sort that out with the guide you choose. You can get a guide outside the colosseum if you wish. Three hours is not a lot of time to spend at the three sites and you might want to plan for more. As for order, to me it depends on the time of day. I like to visit the forum early since there is no shade and it tends to get very hot. Then you can visit the palatine hill and then the colosseum.

Donna

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how long they would recommend allowing to see all 3 of these sites? I understand the ticket is valid for 2 days - does that mean it would usually take more than a day to see them thoroughly? I'm quite interested in the history so don't want to be too rushed with my visit.

Thanks

Kate

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,765 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

It really depends on the person as to how long it takes. I spend at least an hour in the colosseum, usually more. I tend to wander on the Palatine hill and have spent more than 2 hours there before. The forum is huge with a lot to see so if you take your time you could spend more than 2 hours there as well. The forum is not well signed so I always have friends and family use the audio guides from pocketvox.com. They have 2 for the forum that last an hour each. They go up one side of the forum and down the other explaining the ruins as you reach them. This allows you to go at your own pace and skip anything that might not interest you. You can also stop whenever you wish.

You do get two consecutive days to see the three sites though you only get one entry into each during those two days.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,816 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

We spent about 6 or 7 hours at the 3 sites. We had a private guide and did the underground tour of the Colosseum. This was with my mother who walks slowly. We saw a lot but not everything, especially at the Palatine Hill (I think, obviously it's hard to tell how much you didn't see.)

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,629 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
19,816 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

Thanks so much for your advice :)

7. Re: Colliseum, Roman Forum,The Palatine.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 21:18