We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hold onto your luggage on the train

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Hold onto your luggage on the train

There were two couples and one guy in the carriage we were in yesterday on the FR1 train from FCO to Trastevere.

We were at the back with our luggage crammed into the seat with us. A guy got on and walked down towards our end of the carriage I held onto my case (yes, I am paranoid) and he went to get off but sat down again.

I didn't think about him again until, as we pulled away from the next stop, the couple down the other end started swearing - the guy had picked up one of their cases and got off the train with it. They couldn't do anything about it cos the train had taken off again.

That couple had put their luggage on the seat as they walked up to the top level and then sat in the next seat along but looking back towards us rather than towards their luggage.

My husband is now just as particular as me about being careful with our belongings. I am not trying to be alarmist but just trying to warn people to be careful with their luggage.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hold onto your luggage on the train

When I put luggage on the rack, far from my seat, I use my old ski lock wire and secure my bags to the rack, OK, I'm freaky-but if I pack 2 weeks of vacation-I want it with me when I get there!

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hold onto your luggage on the train

oh this is good to know as I will be training it from Rome thru tuscany and venice and back....thanks for the heads up!

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hold onto your luggage on the train

Another good system:

One boy I know was travelling on a train at night through spain and wanted to get some sleep so he wrapped the shoulder straps around his leg. He was woken in the night by someone trying to walk off with his pack.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hold onto your luggage on the train

Rome is rampant with thieves and pickpockets...... it's worse than new york on that level!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hold onto your luggage on the train

I would not leave luggage alone on a train in NY or ANY other place!!

Why would you expect it to be safe when you are not keeping an eye on it??

The reason many of us travel without a lot of luggage is so that we can easily keep it close to us!

6. Re: Hold onto your luggage on the train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 06:24