We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

We are considering renting an apartment for the 3 nights we will be in Rome.

We arrive at Termini at around 9 am but our apartment will not be ready until around 3pm. I emailed the rental agency and they could not tell me one way or the other if I will be able to drop bags off early and will not know until they know if someone is booked the night before us .

I have looked through the numerous threads on leaving luggage at Termini but I want to know is it really worth it for a 1/2 day? How ridiculous are the lines really? I am hearing they are awful but then I hear awful is only 30 minutes. Does anyone know what it's really like on a Tuesday at the end of June? Is it worth it as we will only need it for a few hours (I don't want to spend the entire day at a train station) or should we just book a hotel and not have to deal with it? I'd really rather the apartment, this is my only concern.

Thanks!

Melissa

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

I have only left (and retrieved) my luggage twice from Left Luggage at Termini. Sometimes there is a line and sometimes not.

When we arrived at Termini in the morning, we left our luggage at left luggage, went sightseeing, and then checked inot our apt. We thjen traveled to Termini and got out luggage after we hadf already checked in.

Book a hotel if you don't want to deal with any of these little inconveniences of an apt. Apts are cheaper for a reason. If you want all the conveniences and want to be catered to, maybe an apt is not for you?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

From the few times we've done it, there's a considerable 'overhead' to an apartment rental - meeting up to get the keys and pay anything still due, going through how everything works, saying goodbye to the agent - then shopping for the things you like which they've not provided... and perhaps a deposit and key return afterwards?

Might not necessarily be worthwhile for only 3 nights....

Peter

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

I'm not looking to be catered to......just don't prefer to lug giant suitcases all over a city or spend an entire day of my vacation on a line at a train station......pretty normal desires I think.

I have done apartment rentals numerous times and know the procedures. I am doing one in Paris for this trip. However, this will be the first time when I am arriving to my destination in the morning well before check in and was looking to see what other's experiences were in similar situations.

Does anyone have an answer to the question I asked? (About how long are the lines at the Termini left luggage high season on a weekday?)

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

It could be 5 minutes...it could be an hour. There is no way to tell you. It depends on the day, time, number of people needing to store luggage....

I don't know what to tell you other than store your luggage or take it with you. If you don't store it and can't drop it at the apartment what other choice do you have?

Donna

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

Rather than talking down to anyone else, I'd suggest you go directly to the people best able to make that sort of prediction - the phone number is shown here...

www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

Peter

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

I was not talking down to anyone and I'm sorry if you took it that way. On the contrary I was responding to people I felt were talking down to me when I simply asked if anyone had a particular experience they could share.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

Thanks so much for the info! I guess I just have to make a choice and hope it's the right one!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,960 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

"Does anyone have an answer to the question I asked? (About how long are the lines at the Termini left luggage high season on a weekday?)"

The answer to your question had been stated: I varies based on the exact day and time of day.

Why worry about this? Choice in the real world is often limited.

There are 3 actions based on renting an apt.

1. check you luggage at left luggage at Termini and retrieve it later

2. Don't check your luggage and carry it all over Rome with you for 6 hours of sightseeing

3. Pay for your apt for an extra night (4 nights instead of 3) and check into your apt in the morning. This is what I did last time I rented an apt in Rome in March becasue the USAir flight that arrived on Sunday morning was much cheaper than any other day. Between the Marathon and it being Sunday I was not sure what transport might be running and what Left Luggage and Termini might be like; there was construction aroudn Termini; it might be completed now.

Edited: 17 May 2011, 19:45
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

wow that's actually not a bad idea at all! in your experience were the apartment people ok with you not picking up the key until after your booking? i'm guessing probably not since they still got the $ right?

Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: luggage at Termini- is it honestly worth it for a few hours?

I am sure you already thought of this but if you leave your luggage at the train station you have to schlep back there, and there may be a line to get it back. If you go to the apartment on the chance you can leave it, is the apartment guy always at the apartment or do you have to call and hope they will answer the phone right away? I have seen people standing around outside the door for 30 minutes or more while they try to rouse the people to come from some other place to let them in.

The more I travel the more I reserve the place for the night before, but am sure to let them know what I am doing so they don't think I am a no-show, and so they know they need to be available for my expected arrival time. Anyway, you have done all this before.