We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day excursion in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
203 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
1 day excursion in Rome

Hi,

We are booked on Carnival Magic for 3rd July. My question is about 1 day shore excursions in Rome. need help choosing a good tour guide/agency, with fluency in English. Any recommendations from people who have personally used a guide would be welcome. Also, which are the must see sights in Rome? Theere is so much to see but we would rather not be rushing around trying to do everything.

For example, we'd rather spend time at one museum than trying to see more. Which would you suggest?

What about the underground chambers of Colosseum? Have read that they are worthwhile?

Thanks in advance

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day excursion in Rome

Ciao starsani, If I had one day in Rome I would do the Collossium and Roman Forum tour, which can be done easily in an morning. If you go to one museum you should see Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel which means going to the Vatican Museum, but you will want to see Vatican Square anyway.

Any reputable tour company will work. I have taken many tours in Rome and you can request English speaking when you book. Tour guides in Rome are highly qualified and licensed. They must have an advanced degree and pass an oral and written exam in Italian. Start your day very early with the Collossium/Forum, then the Vatican tour. Move on to the Ancient City. It can be done, if you schedule your time appropriately. You can prebook the Vatican and the Collossium online and then do the hop-on-hop-off for the rest or it can be walked if your legs don't feel like lead by this point. Wear comfortable shoes and get lots of sleep the night before. Ciao.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 06:32
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day excursion in Rome

I really wouldn't recommend visiting the Vatican Museums on a cruise shore day, unless you want to see just that, with maybe a drive-by look at a few other things in Rome. It's a time-consuming and tiring visit.

I really don't think it's realistic to suggest a tour of the ancient Roman sites AND the Vatican Museums in one fairly short day.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,878 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day excursion in Rome

I agree with Barb. I would pick *either* the vatican area including the museums or ancient Rome. There is no way to see both without being horribly rushed especially on a day trip from a cruise.

If you wish to see the colosseum you can buy your tickets ahead of time and bypass the entry line at:

pierreci.it/en/…colosseo.aspx

If you want to book the underground tour you must call or skype them to do so. The number is 011 39 0639967700. If you want both the entry tickets and the tour just let the operator know. She will charge you for both. This is the official site for booking the tour and also the cheapest.

I'm not really sure you'll need a guide. Just take the train from the docks into Rome. You can get off at the termini station then catch the metro to the colosseum. You can see the colosseum, forum and palatine hill then visit the capitolini museums. If you still have time available you can take the 15 minute walk to the pantheon and then over to the spanish steps or trevi fountain.

If you decide to see the Vatican area instead you can still take the metro to it, just get off at the Ottaviano stop for the museums. Pre-purchase your entry tickets or book a tour at:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

This will allow you to bypass the line outside. After you finish with the museums you can visit the basilica. If you have time remaining you might be able to walk to the Castel Sant Angelo for a drink and a great view.

Donna

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day excursion in Rome

looking for a wonderful tour company to book for a shore excursion to Rome. Only there one day..on the Ruby Princess. thank you!

5. Re: 1 day excursion in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:22