We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PAC safe purse

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
PAC safe purse

Has anyone ever used a PAC Safe purse? I read some reviews and they are suppose to be slash proof and have safety locks on the zippers.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,528 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PAC safe purse

don't buy an expensive purse because it is 'slash proof' as the chance of some knife wielding fiend approaching your purse while not non-existent is slight -- (I have managed extensive European travel for 50 years without having a purse picked, stolen or slashed yet)

if you have a good purse that works for you traveling -- don't worry and use it -- if you are getting a new travel purse then see if pacsafe has one that is appealing for your other needs -- and look at baggolini and other brands and get one that does what you want, looks good etc --

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PAC safe purse

I have a few different size pac safe purses and I love them. While Janet is right that you won't be approached by a knife wielding fiend you may be approached by someone asking for help as a distraction who slashes your bag while you are not paying attention. This has happened many times and most of the time the people don't realize it's happened until later. These pickpockets are really good at what they do.

I use the pac safe purses because I don't want to have to worry about being slashed or someone getting into it. The locks and clips they use are really good and secure. I carry my bag across my body and never worry about the bag or straps being cut or someone getting into the bag without my knowing it. They are really good bags and I don't consider them too expensive for the peace of mind they give me.

Donna

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PAC safe purse

A lot of people in London and Rome are using them.

It just gives you a bit more peace of mind while travelling that your documents and wallet are secure. You still have to be sensible about flashing your money around but it negates the need for a money belt and they look ok too.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
384 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PAC safe purse

I have a pac safe purse I bought for China 2 years ago and I love it. It just gives me peace of mind and I've used it now in London, Paris and it's already packed for Italy next week. I also have the Pac safe backpack as my carry on since I usually bring a laptop or ipad - bought it at the same time and I even use that when traveling in the US since I can cinch it shut and lock it to anything stable/static in a hotel room or just a chair leg at the airport or a restaurant.

Hope this helps!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PAC safe purse

I'm a guy and I don't carry a purse - but I can say that my Pac Safe Messenger bag is absolutely amazing. One of the best bags I've purchased.

I would say, if you have a bag (purse in your case) that will work then it's probably not worth it just to buy a new bag. but if you are in the market for something new to use when you travel or frequent use(I use my messenger bag now more than just for travel) then they are totally worth it!

I got mine on overstock.com for about $36 (with shipping) retailed for over $120.

All the Pac Safe bags are designed really well and they are certainly more stylish than the first one's that came out years ago which were mostly in an awful brown color. hehe.

Hot Sulphur...
Level Contributor
880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PAC safe purse

I've used a couple of styles of pacsafe purses. I find them easy to organize, but very heavy. I don't bother with them anymore.

Safe travels!

Stafford, Virginia
Level Contributor
241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PAC safe purse

VTJedi

Your post made me laugh!

"I'm a guy and I don't carry a purse - but I can say that my Pac Safe Messenger bag is absolutely amazing"

It would have been better had you called it what it is.....your man purse! ;)

Now I need to check into this PAC safe "bag" my dad got pickpocketed in Italy and he is a pretty seasoned traveler, but apparently a little to lax as he had his wallet in his back pocket...he should have used TA!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PAC safe purse

I have a Pac Safe Metro bag--love it. Holds wallet, large sunglass case, largish camera, cell phone, travel journal, pens, little whatnots, 2 water bottles...use it for all overseas travel.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PAC safe purse

Hi mufg03. I travel all the time and have never used a "slashproof" anything. I use regular purses but I do make sure they have closure at the top. When I leave the hotel I only take the cash I will need for the day. I do slip a credit card into my bra and off I go. Most times I don't even carry a purse, but a decorative see-through net bag for shopping and water. The cash I put in my pocket.

If I am going out to a fancy place I take a little wristlet coctail bag.

Just use common sense. The same you would use in any city. Men: DO NOT PUT YOUR WALLET IN YOUR BACK POCKET. Women: Keep your purse close to your body and pay attention to your surroundings. Everyone: DO NOT CARRY ALL YOUR STUFF AROUND THE STREETS. If you have a lot of luggage and are tired and jetlagged take a taxi, not the bus, the train or the metro. You cannot be diligent when you are tired in a strange city. The taxis are great in Rome. I have taken them hundreds of times and have never been ripped off or even close. One time, when my son got sick and had to go to the hospital the taxi driver would not even let me pay.

I have been mugged in the USA and believe me, a "slash proof" purse would not have made any difference at all, and my son was pickpocketed here in San Francisco, but never in Rome.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PAC safe purse

There is a *huge* difference between a mugging and having your pockets picked. The majority of the crime in Rome is petty, non-violent crime and are crimes of opportunity. They look for easy targets like regular purses or wallets in back pockets or legs of cargo pants. They may approach you as a group to disorient you then "pat you down" and take what they can. It might be a well dressed business man who asks for directions as he lifts your wallet. It could be two women holding a map or newspaper in front of your face while they cut through your purse to remove your things.

You should carry what you feel comfortable with. For me, it's my pac safe, for others it's a regular purse or money belt. If you want a little added security and peace of mind then you should buy it. If you feel more comfortable with something else or something you already own then you should take that.

Donna