We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat in Rome?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat in Rome?

I’ll be in Rome one week. Can you recommend a few great places to eat and tell me what to order (please include the Italian name so that I can recognize the items on the menu)?

I'm looking for:

- Authentic, simple, family style food

- Places where locals go

- Located near historic district or in Trastevere would be preferable.

I’d like recommendations for lunch and for dinner. We want to eat what Italians eat.

Budget: I don't really know what to expect in terms of prices. I guess I'm willing to pay what the average Italian would pay for his meal.

Thanks

NY
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat in Rome?

One place to look is at Rome Restaurants at the left and read the reviews - there are over 2000 listed and you can see general prices as well. Others may have some specific places they have enjoyed in the past that you can chase down, but no assurance they will meet all your requirements. The average local Italian, on the average, will eat average meals at home, just like everywhere. There are lots and lots of restaurants, you can look at the menus and prices before you go in. Many are in English as well (unlike some other places that shall go unnamed)

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat in Rome?

Hi Redhotsky, I have the perfect place for you! It is between Piazza Navona and Trastevere. I love this place. The name is Navona Notte. Look it up on line. This is always the first place I eat when I am in Rome. It is family style on a small atmospheric street with tables outside and in, but do sit outside if you can and get there before 8 pm when the lines start. Locals and tourists eat here and the menu is in English and Italian. The food is very good but simple homestyle, pizza, pasta, beans, salads and a shot of homemade lemmonchello on the house for desert.

One time flying into Rome on Lufthansa we dropped our bags at our b and b and hopped back into the same taxi to go to Navona Notte for dinner. This took but one minute since we had stayed at this place before and actually never went to the room, just met the owners at the door. When we arrived at Novana Notte the whole crew from Luthansa was there ahead of us. It was their favorite place for good homestye Roman food too. From here we usually go for a gelato since the place is surrounded by great gelato places, walk to Camp deiFiori and then to Trastevere for for an after dinner walk or drink. It's one of my favorite walks in Rome. It is also an easy walk to the Pantheon. The Pantheon at night is otherworldly.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 06:09
3. Re: Where to eat in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2011, 14:48
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
130 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat in Rome?

My all time favorite restaurant was Da Francesco. (Vicolo de Fico - Piazza Navona) It wasn't too expensive at all & the food was excellent. We stayed at a B&B nearby and could see people lined up all night. I wished I would have eaten there more than once, bc all the other places I visited didn't even compare. Good Luck!

5. Re: Where to eat in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 08:19