We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for babies

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rock Hill, SC
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for babies

We are hosting a business dinner for 6 people in Rome at Mirabelle. Just found out at the client has an 18 month old baby who will be joining us. Does Mirabelle even allow children and where would be a good alternative?

United States
Level Contributor
449 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for babies

Why not? A baby is not a dog.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for babies

They can't refuse to seat you, but I don't think they'd be very happy about it, given that meals at Mirabelle tend to be prolonged affairs and that other patrons will be looking for a quiet and/or romantic atmosphere.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for babies

I don't know the Mirabelle, and don't usually dine at that type of restaurant, but I've never seen a restaurant in Italy that wasn't welcoming of babies. I've been at hours-long restaurant meals where babies and little tots were happily toddling around the whole time. When I first moved to Italy, it was one of the things that most struck me.

Is the client Italian? If so, it would probably never occur to them that a restaurant wouldn't be an appropriate place for a baby.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for babies

LovingRome's response- hilarious.

Anyways I can't think of many situations where a baby would have trouble eating out in Rome. Restaurants and their staff all seem very accommodating here, they like kids, family is a big part of the culture.... This should be a very small worry for you. :)

UK
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for babies

This is a quote from the Mirabelle website:

>>> The Mirabelle has all the perfect ingredients to ensure guests enjoy a truly magical dining experience: an elegant and beautifully furnished ambience in which to relax, <<<

IMO if I read that I would expect a relaxed evening. We once endured what was supposed to be a special dinner in another well known starred Rome restaurant. Unfortunately it was "disrupted" by a crying baby whose parents came and went as they tried to complete their meal whilst one of them walked up and down calming the child. The staff were embarrassed and when the family eventually retired apologised to each table..

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for babies

Just do the best you can. They are a client. They should have enough sense to not bring a Toddler (an 18 month old is mobile) to an exclusive restaurant to a business dinner. They should find a sitter or have the mother stay at her lodging with the toddler. Toddlers are the worst at restaurants.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 17:10
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for babies

Joanna's response indicates what most non-Italian diners would expect, and also has a clue that they may be mistaken in expecting it.

Another thing that struck me when I first came to Italy is that the concept of "bedtime" doesn't seem to exist with respect to children. I was once invited to a nursery school end-of-year program which started late, and where children under the age of four were still performing on stage at 11 PM. This would have been unheard of in any other country where I'd lived.

Children go everywhere in Italy and pretty much have free reign. Other than grandparents or full-time nursemaids, most Italian children have never been left with anyone, and babysitters hired for an evening are virtually unknown.

Nanni Morretti had a satirical segment about children's place in Italian society in his film "Caro Diario" (Dear Diary). There's a very funny scene where he's trying desperately to call someone (pre-cell phone), but their child always answers and never passes the phone to Daddy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for babies

I love that film "caro diario" it's in my top ten of all time!!! :-)

anyway, I would never bring my kids to a "nice" restaurant esp, a toddler.

I tend to go to loud chaotic places where a toddler might go "unnoticed" or if I do go to a nice restaurant I go before it gets busy, which is hard to do in Rome, because restaurants have very limited hours --- unlike in the US where restaurants tend to open @ 5pm for dinner.

Italians do love children, but I have learned this is so only in moments when the child is well behaved......

do you need some recs? i notice mirabelle is near the via veneto area which I am not too familiar with.

good luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for babies

Just saw a pic of mirabelle....... would never in a million years bring my kids there!!!!!!! heck i would not even go there, and if i was the type of person to go there i would prob not want to see a little kid there......

just my opinion!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant for babies

There are restaurants, and there are restaurants. Many (possibly most) restaurants in Italy willingly cope with toddlers, but I have read many arguments pro and con - as many con as pro - about bringing toddlers to restaurants on Italian food blogs, written by Italians for Italians.

Mirabelle is not an average Italian restaurant. Patrons of a Michelin-starred restaurant with panoramic views, whether foreign or Italian, have chosen it either for a special occasion or for a business dinner and expect an uninterrupted meal. Staff at such a restaurant - unlike staff at more family-friendly restaurants - are not accustomed to dodging toddlers.

If the client is Italian, I suspect that she has not dined at Mirabelle. I suggest you choose another venue.