We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

I just purchased a guided tour through the Vatican's website for myself and my 15 year old daughter. It says that she needs proof of age with student ID card, but website wasn't clear if that is for under 18, or if the student ID card is for students aged 18-26 only. I can bring her high school ID card or a photocopy of her passport but I don"t know if they will accept this.

If any of you have been to the Vatican with a teenager please let me know what ID they accepted.

Thank-you,

Lisa

Edited: 22 May 2011, 18:24
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

Bring a school ID and copy of passport (or real passport, which you are supposed to have anyway). When you enter the Vatican you are entering another city-state, and really crossing a borders.

It's always best to be prepared so you will not be disappointed or waste time.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

The Vatican will take a school I.D. if the kids have one. As long as she is in school an I.D. will be fine for the reduced rate.

Donna

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

Do I really need my Passport since I am crossing a border as suggested by Rome_with_kid? Or will a photocopy suffice? I was planning on keeping the original in the hotel's safe.

Thank-you

Edited: 22 May 2011, 19:59
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

They don't check your passport when you cross into the Vatican. By law, you must carry some type of I.D. in Rome but unless you are looking for the border between Rome and the Vatican you probably won't even realize you've crossed it.

Donna

Brooklyn, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

You def don't need your passport or any ID for that matter to cross into the Vatican. For the discount, a school ID alone should suffice. I don't think they are too strict but a copy of her passport should be just fine if they do ask for it. What they do strictly enforce is the dress code. She needs to cover her legs (no shorts or short skirts) and shoulders (a shall over a tank top is fine) or they will not let her in.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

Thanks nstb,

I am planning on bringing both her school ID and a copy of her passport. I also told my daughter, who by the way doesn't own any shorts or skirts that cover her knees, that I am going to buy her a skirt that will be acceptable to get into Churches, and I will buy 2 cheap shawls to keep in my bag to cover our shoulders.

Edited: 22 June 2011, 04:26
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

"If any of you have been to the Vatican with a teenager please let me know what ID they accepted."

We went recently with 2 teens and they did not ask for any proof of age. I took their school ID and copy of their passport just in case.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,656 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

I went in April with my 13 y/o and they did not ask for any id. However, she does not look 18, so an older looking teen could be asked I suppose. I carried our passports with us because of the law that you carry a nationally issued ID in Rome but we didn't need to use it in the Vatican.

Also, not sure what the equivalent would be in Canada, but I also got my daughter a state ID card (like a drivers license for people who don't drive) for $10. This was not for Rome but for a tour we went on in Hawaii where they said we would need photo ids to enter military bases. They ended up not asking for it though. I don't know that this would meet the Rome requirements though as it is not federally issued.

9. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2012, 06:26
10. Re: Acceptable ID for 15 year old at the Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2012, 06:26