We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

I like to stroll when I travel and in pedestrian only areas. I haven't come across this information in the guide books. Can you tell me how much of the city is pedestrianized and which areas specifically.

Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

there really are not a lot of pedestrian areas in Rome, only some of the main Piazzas such as Navona and Trevi. There are cars everywhere, even in the narrowest of streets. However, it's still a great city for strolling.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hotel Navona
Hotel Navona
1,177 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

Rome has a large limited traffic zone (ZTL) which is off limits for vehicles except to residents and authorized vehicles. This area is not totally free of cars, but there are many streets where cars are very rare. Buses, taxis, and residents with permits can drive in the ZTL, although there are many streets that are too narrow for buses. The areas that are most free of cars are shown on these maps:

…roma.it/ztl/diurna-centro-storico-settore-b…

…roma.it/ztl/diurna-centro-storico-settore-d…

There is also a fairly large ZTL zone in Trastevere.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

Bits and pieces of the historic center are pedestrianized.

Go to http://www.visual.paginegialle.it/ and enter Roma in the second box and Pantheon in the third. Click on Mappa. Streets shown in blue are pedestrianized.

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
650 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,050 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

Very clever, Zerlina! However did you learn that trick? You can put any address, piazza, or palazzo in the third box. Sometimes it shows a Google Earth type satellite view instead of a map; if you want to see the map, click "Mappa".

Also, the blue is very faint on my computer screen. If I click "Strada" (after clicking "Mappa"), it shows the streets where cars CAN pass with orange lines. All the other streets are pedestrian only. This is much easier for me to see than the blue shading.

If you enter "Palazzo Farnese" in the third box instead of "Pantheon", then click "Mappa", then "Strada", you'll see a large pedestrianized zone in Section D, which I mentioned above. If you zoom out a bit, you'll see a good deal of the historic center.

Mentioned in this post
Palazzo Farnese
Palazzo Farnese
185 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,050 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

But even on pedestrian streets, be aware that you might encounter bicycles and scooters!

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,389 posts
708 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

I don't think you should look for "the" area, instead look for the spots you are most interested in. Walk to every spot you'd like, accepting the idea that you'll come to cross some cars or some scooters, and it will be anyway a very beautiful experience.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

I stayed in the area near the Pantheon and was able to walk to all sights including the Coliseum and the Vatican.I did not walk to the Borghese. The walking was NOT in all pedestrian zones. It is a busy city with lots of traffic and I actually had a reaction to some of the diesel fuel exhaust in the air since I have asthma. It is easy to walk and get around but it is not a large pedestrian only area!!

Mentioned in this post
Pantheon
Pantheon
63,050 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
234 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

I couldn't detect the difference between a TLZ and a non TLZ area in rome.

Florence has a very distinct TLZ where there seems to be no cars or buses and except the occasional taxi it is fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
9. Re: How much of Rome is pedestrian only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 05:20