We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes, a tipping question again!

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Yes, a tipping question again!

We are taking a day long tour from Rome to Pompeii and then to Positano. The tour is 850 euro for the day, including the tour of Pompeii.

What is suggested to tip the driver? What is suggested to tip the tour guide for our 2 hour tour of Pompeii?

15-20% just seems like too much.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,878 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

The Michelin Green Guide Italy's entry on “Taxes and Tipping”….

Copy the URL/address into the address bar - You can't just click on it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QJS4tOes6t0C&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=michelin+green+guide+italy+tipping&source=bl&ots=nv6g0eF04A&sig=mlVqcO_yWITVwr-RQPChtW482s0&hl=en&ei=iE7mTbmcOIfe0QHJir2JCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Fodor’s Italy – Tipping:

Copy the URL/address into the address bar - You can't just click on it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DGTGPUujp7sC&pg=PA71&lpg=PA71&dq=fodor%27s+italy+tipping&source=bl&ots=CGYPtj_bkg&sig=4SSjoT9Q5VUL-UqLrGWNYcATk6Q&hl=en&ei=zVHmTayEPJK3tgeuoPjLCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Frommer’s Italy - Tipping:

frommers.com/destinations/…0228020157.html

Lonely Planet Italy – Tipping:

lonelyplanet.com/italy/…money-costs

Let’s Go Italy - Tipping:

letsgo.com/20-europe-travel-guides-italy-d

Vagabonda

Edited: 01 June 2011, 15:56
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
776 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

Can people here remember that this site is visited by non Americans and no not every one knows the tipping situation in the States.

The comments about not tipping in Europe is correct. If there is a service charge then I do not tip as this has already been calculated as a percentage. Those who have had experiences where waiters who expect a tip are seeing the result of over generous American tippers. This has ruined many tourist spots as waiters are now expecting all tourists to give them money for the privelage of them just doing their job - that is what you are doing. They are being paid a decent wage so why should tourists have give them extra for them doing what they are being paid quite generously for.

In the UK it is the norm for a group who are to spliting the bill to round their share to the nearest pound. Any extra goes to the staff but we do not percentage tip. Taxi drivers get nothing on top of the fare and why should they. Certainly not a tip. American tour guides that suggesgt a routine percentage tip for all services are way off the mark.

Its not being mean. Its just the way things are on this side of the pond.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
378 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

Tipping is optional. If the restaurant requires a certain amount, then that isn't a tip, it's a service charge and should be stated up front on the bill.

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

Service charge in most of Europe is Included in the price

Its up to you , but realy no need to tip

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

I would be very surprised if the waiters in Rome are so dim-witted to think that just because Americans tip well then everyone else who vists their restaurant will tip well. Are Americans ruining all your tourist spots? Really?

I work in the service industry in my home town and I know Americans tip well and that's great - but generally UK folks tip a little and others not at all. My colleagues would agree - we are not trained dogs! We dont put our hands out just because the previous customer gave something. These comments seem silly to me....people have always travelled overseas and tipping or not tipping hasnt changed in the last 20 -30 years so at what point has it been 'ruined' by Americans?

I would think that service industry employees seeking more tips might be a reflection on the economy or other factors. But maybe we just blame the Americans...easy.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
California
Level Contributor
44 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

Thanks everyone for your ideas. My intent was to get some guidelines. I never intended to tip 15-20% on the total, but I just wanted an idea as to what kind of tip (for an amazing day) would be okay.

Peter, thank you for the links to comparable tours.

knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
573 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

I found most of my bills said that about the tip, because they know most places you do tip. I would say tip if you enjoy the tour.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
776 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

I remeber a boat tour in Bruges where the operator expected a tip just for giving an English commentry. It was part of his job to ensure that all customers enjoy the tour by providing a multi linguial commentry. He was most put out when he was not tipped. This is the problem that tipping can cause. It breeds a culture that expects a back hander for every little service even when it is part of their job.

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,878 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

One size doesn’t fit all, and each to their own - Everyone has an opinion and should do whatever they feel comfortable doing, but it is typical to round-up in Italy, more so in tourist areas than local areas.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Yes, a tipping question again!

I find this thread quite interesting

I have booked two Context tours for next week and in the email confirmation it was noted that

"tipping is always appreciated but not obligatory. Context clients generally tip anywhere from 10-25% of the purchase price of a personal service such as this...."

context tours are small and quite pricey to begin with so I question the inclusion of such a statement.

Opinions? (seems a bit coercive to me)